- I don't think so. -- malenki 19:42, 29 January 2015 (UTC)
What is the purpose/benefit of this tag? Mapillary is great but the photos tend to contain many objects and one object may appear in many photos. If you want to make a website/application to link Mapillary and OpenStreetMap (similar to the Mapillary website or different) then you could link them through location(co-ordinates). Although I'm a supporter of "anything" being added to OpenStreetMap, this tag would just add loads of data without a single benefit. -- LastGrape/Gregory 13:11, 30 January 2015 (UTC)
- Personally I haven't used this tag so far, but as far as I can see, it's one way to try to address the problem of the key image=*. Basically speaking, if you want an image of an OSM feature to automatically use it somewhere, you need to know the copyright of the image to know how you can use it. The key mapillary=* gets an image specifically from Mapillary, where the copyright license is the same for all pictures. Also, the idea is that the mapper would choose a good photo of the place and not just any photo pointing to the direction of the place. At least that's what I understood. --Jgpacker (talk) 16:01, 30 January 2015 (UTC)
- I assume the answer you can find here dated 17 January 2015 at 12:32. -- malenki 21:37, 30 January 2015 (UTC)
@Jgpacker: I did not remove anything which was there. I'd assume the wiki should have shown a conflict since you obviously edited at the same time I did – but it didn't. -- malenki 22:17, 30 January 2015 (UTC)
- Thinking again, it was after all a PEBKAC. I am quite sure now I edited an old version of the page – sorry! -- malenki 22:19, 30 January 2015 (UTC)
Why substring the url
What is the advantage of substringing the url ? It makes creating it and using it much more difficult.
- Maybe the same as wikipedia/wikidata tags, in order to keep only the important information. The rest of the Mapillary URL is always the same, and if it ever changes many tags will be broken. By keeping only the key, software can adapt to changes easily. --PanierAvide (talk) 14:40, 28 March 2016 (UTC)
You all certainly have a point. But my points have not been answered. I will invent a new tag for the time that things do not work. Any suggestions ?
- I've explained the advantages of the substring, and as I said, creating it should be easier if editors make it easier. As an example, I'm working on creating a custom iD version dedicated to indoor mapping. I will make it easier to add a Mapillary image on any object. Concerning the reuse of this tag, it's renderers job to handle it. wikipedia=* tag doesn't create that much problems, and it's exactly the same concept and it is widely used. I'm not sure why do you think that it would be more complicated to handle this key. Maybe you can explain more your concerns. --PanierAvide (talk) 10:18, 31 March 2016 (UTC)