This is an archive of old discussions. Do not reply on this page. Current discussions are at Talk:Mapping milestones. You can re-open an old topic there.
Note that this page called 'Places' and these discussion points were all originally at 'Talk:Places' (now Talk:Mapping milestones)
I don't live near any of the places that are currently listed. How do I get a new place added so that I can start entering GPS tracks and creating street maps? Val42 18:28, 13 Jan 2006 (GMT) (Ogden, Utah)
- No need to add it to this page -- just upload your GPS waypoints at http://www.openstreetmap.org/upload.html and start marking roads around your location. - Owhite 19:19, 13 Jan 2006 (GMT)
Out Of Date / Arbitrary - Entry requirements
I think once-upon-a-time this Places page might have been a full list of any places which have any significant mapping at all. Since then (happily) the project's progressed quite a bit, and so listing any place with any significant mapping is not a sensible thing to try to do all on one page. There are hundreds of towns/villages with pretty good coverage. So I guess we need some kind of entry requirements to qualify a place to be listed on this page. Maybe we have to reach agreement on some nice examples, similar to 'Featured images'. -- Harry Wood 15:50, 12 July 2007 (BST)
- Let's just delete it - its work here is done. --Richard 12:20, 20 December 2007 (UTC)
- hmmm Well it's linked from About, FAQ, Browsing, Using OpenStreetMap and their translations. The way I read it, these are all implying that this page should be list of featured examples where we've done particularly nifty mapping. I dont think that's a bad idea actually... but currently the page is not really succeeding in doing that. If we deleted it, we'd have to reword the various linking sentences somehow -- Harry Wood 13:17, 20 December 2007 (UTC)
- Yeah, but the burden to maintain it is clearly too much - most of us would rather go mapping. We already have featured images and a slippy map. --Richard 13:33, 20 December 2007 (UTC)
- Yeah the problem is there hasn't been a great deal of interest in creating decent "marketing copy". I see the potential value of this page as a promotional chunk of text, alongside the About page and the Getting Involved page etc. But like the Getting Involved page, this one has attracted surprisly little rewriting effort considering how prominently linked it is. Guess everyone's busy mapping as you say.
- I tell you what. I'll try to unilaterally decide where some important places are in terms of our mapping. I'll include explanations for why they're important, and we'll see how that looks.
- After that the maintenance problem will come in when people try to add their favourite patch to the page, and we have to introduce criteria for what's an important mapping example, and what isn't. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
- -- Harry Wood 10:55, 21 December 2007 (UTC)
- OK done. Quite difficult thing to write actually, because I feel bad about not mentioning places. I had to resist the temptation to list cities and countries, which have made great mapping progress. All these places will have to get left out one way or another if we want to avoid it being just a list -- Harry Wood 16:28, 21 December 2007 (UTC)