WikiProject South Africa
|South Africa, Africa|
|latitude: -28.5, longitude: 25.5|
|Browse South Africa map 28° 30′ 0″ S, 25° 30′ 0″ E|
|Use this template for your city|
South Africa is a Country in Africa at latitude 28° 30′ 0″ South, longitude 25° 30′ 0″ East.
- 1 Map of South Africa
- 2 Getting involved
- 3 Goals
- 4 Mapping Parties
- 5 Press
- 6 Interacting with others
- 7 Provinces
- 8 Useful Resources
- 9 Achievements
Map of South Africa
- Subscribe to the OpenStreetMap Talk South Africa mailing list and introduce yourself.
- Tagging roads? Read the South African Tagging Guidelines.
- Looking for something to fix? Check out this Keepright map, then zoom into your area of interest.
- See the Beginners' guide if you're new to OpenStreetMap.
- Improving existing areas by adding road names, divided roads, speed limits, etc
- Getting secondary regional (Rxxx) routes mapped
- Improving and completing key cities/towns
- Mapping National Parks, Nature Reserves and Game Reserves of South Africa
- Creating specialist maps:
- 4x4 trails eg. Dewild Eco Trail
- Tourist maps
- Diving maps
- City navigator maps
- Mountain Bike routes, like Dark & Dirty Rock & Roll, Dam2Dam, Northern Farms and Logwood.
- Adding speed limits and fixed traffic cameras.
- Adding danger spots:
- Highjack hotspots
- High accident zones
- Steep climbs/descents
- Sharp turns
- Adding more information about residential areas
- Adding and naming housing complexes, flats, and office parks
- Adding house and ERF numbers
- Uploading GPS traces (useful for properly aligning satellite imagery)
- Mapping major stadiums
- Mapping power lines
- Mapping Public Transport WikiProject South Africa/Public transport routes
- Getting all the national highways mapped.
- Getting all primary regional routes mapped.
- National roads
- Regional roads
- Metropolitan roads
- Administrative boundaries
- Public transport routes
- National Parks, Nature Reserves and Game Reserves of South Africa
Join an event listed below. If there aren't any, find out how to run your own.
- Invite to the 5th Cape Town Wiki-meetup - 4th May 2014: this event is open to both Wikipedia editors as well as members of the open mapping community. Please join us.
Past Mapping Parties
- Pretoria March 2011 Meetup - 26 March 2011
- Worldcup 2010 Mapping Party Johannesburg - 20th March 2010.
- Cape Town Mapping Party - September 2009
- Gauteng Mapping Party - September 2009
- Cape Town Mapping Party Sunday 28 September 2008
- 29 September 2008 - 3 October 2008 FOSS4G 2008 at the Cape Town International Convention Centre. Register now and meet Andrew, Mikel, Schuyler and more characters from the OSM and other Free and Open Source GIS communities. If you're interested in Open data, Open standards, Open Source, or GIS in general, this is the conference to attend.
- After FOSS4G how about running mapping parties in other cities in South Africa? Organise here.
- Cape Town meet - 5th April 2008 - Meet
- Johannesburg Pub Meet - 7th April 2008 - Meet some of the guys mapping Gauteng
- Noordhoek, Cape Town - 10th November 2007 - 1st South African Mapping Party
- February 19, 2007 - Tectonic - Mapping the world, one street at a time
- February 27, 2007 - CapeInfo - Take ownership of your streets!
- August 2, 2007 - Spatial Data Infrastructure - Africa Newsletter
- August 1, 2009 - Brainstorm Magazine - While governments debate, people create (print/online)
- September 1, 2009 - Getaway Magazine - Help map the world (print/online)
- September 1, 2009 - Brainstorm Magazine - Mapping the world class African city (OSM related)
- February 25, 2010 - The lie of the land - The ambitious volunteer-based OpenStreetMap has now mapped more than 120,000 km of South African roads.
- September 21, 2010 - Lets Talk Geek - LTG Episode 23: Open Street Maps [sic] - Chat with Nic Roets (South Africa)
- January 15, 2013 - Tame Times: Open map opens possibilities
See also: OpenStreetMap South Africa Press Pack - PDF, 14 July 2009
Interacting with others
- Mailing list: http://lists.openstreetmap.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/talk-za.
- IRC discussion: irc.oftc.net #osm-za http://irc.openstreetmap.org/
- OpenStreetMap Forum (worldwide)
People interested in South Africa
- Grant Slater
- Gerhardus Geldenhuis
- Ray Booysen
- Roland Elferink
- Brett Hairbottle
- Adrian Frith
- Nic Roets
- Angus Anderson
- Heinz Meulke
- Adrian Moisey
- Russell Cloran
- Deon Erasmus
- Carl Sutton
- Anton Damhuis
- Johan W Joubert
- Peter le Roux
- Hendrik Stheeman
- Glen Wilson
- Brendan Barrett
- David Way
- Ryan Peel
- Rickus Viljoen
- Pieter Smit
- Marlon Van Der Linde
- Eon van Zyl
- Andrew Gillespie
South Africa has 9 provinces:
- Includes city of 1.65 M
- Includes city of 1.23 M
- Includes city of 1.22 M
- North West
- Western Cape
- Includes city of 2.69 M
- Eastern Cape
- Includes city of 834 K
- Northern Cape
- Free State
- Includes city of
- Includes city of 2.35 M
Don't copy from other maps! Please respect the copyright of these sites.
South African Government Resources
- National Geo-spatial Information (previously Chief Directorate: Surveys and Mapping) (see data access here)
- Municipal Demarcation Board - Provincal, Municipal and Ward Boundries.
- South African Geographical Names System - Official Names
- Municipal and provincial GIS servers