Kaart (kaart.com), (Kaart Group, LLC) is a company from Grand Junction, Colorado, USA, and contributes to foundational data in OSM, primarily in road networks. Kaart travels to conduct groundwork in countries and metropolitan areas throughout the world. The process includes the use of mobile applications to input new tags, primarily street names and oneways, while driving through cities and towns. Imagery is simultaneously captured with GPS enabled cameras in order to allow post-processing of data to fix road geometry, update new construction, and add traffic lanes, turn restrictions, and other tags necessary to improve vehicle navigation. Kaart employs a data team actively contributing to and maintaining the map. Imagery has been uploaded for community use in Mapillary.
Road Network Improvement Projects
Kaart works on projects throughout the world, with focus in the following regions:
- Central America
- Middle East
- North America
- South America
Kaart has travelled to and provided data improvements in the following countries and places listed by regions:
- Africa - Comoros, Mauritius, Reunion, Morocco, South Africa, Mayotte
- Caribbean - Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Trinidad & Tobago, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Bahamas, Barbados, Saint Lucia, Curacao, Aruba, Saint Vincent & Grenadines, Grenada, Antigua & Barbuda, Dominica, Cayman Islands, Saint Kitts & Nevis, Sint Maarten, Turks & Caicos, Saint Martin, British Virgin Islands, Bonaire, Anguilla, Saint Barthélemy, Montserrat, Bermuda
- Central America - Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Belize, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama
- North America - Mexico, United States: Maryland, Colorado, Washington
- South America - Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Suriname, French Guiana, Peru, Bolivia, Paraguay, Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil
- Middle East - Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, United Arab Emirates, Oman, Cyprus, Jordan, Lebanon
- Asia - Singapore, Hong Kong, Macau, Brunei, Philippines, Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia
- Europe - Denmark, Ukraine, Iceland, Greece, Romania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Macedonia, Kosovo, Bulgaria, Albania
Kaart is a bronze-level Corporate Member of the OSM Foundation.
Kaart has been a sponsor to the following OSM events:
Kaart Data Team
The Kaart Data Team continuously improves OpenStreetMap by fixing errors and adding data using open data sources. Kaart has editing teams and/or editors in Colorado USA, California USA, Washington USA, Chile, Mexico, Guatemala, Philippines, Moldova, Romania, Russia, and Turkey.
Data Team Guidelines
In addition to the rules that apply to everyone in the community, these are the guidelines the Kaart team reiterates and adds for themselves:
- The company's motto is "Make Awesome Data." Kaart seeks to make the best map data and to adhere to the highest standards as documented on the OpenStreetMap Wiki or as established as common practice in the community.
- Local knowledge first. Kaart travels and collects their own source data using GPS enabled cameras and staff in country.
- All full time data team members will be listed here on this OpenStreetMap Wiki page and identified on their user profiles.
- Kaart uses public tools and will happily share the experiences and processes with local mappers to help grow communities.
- Kaart works with the local community. When conducting groundwork in a country, they will often try to meet with local editors and collaborate with them when possible. Kaart seeks to understand the local mapping conventions and assist in uplifting OSM data to a more complete standard.
Current Team Members
Here are the OpenStreetMap user accounts of the Kaart data team. For any questions, please get in touch with the team member listed or with Aaron Young.
Current Team Members (by name)
Previous Team Members
Here is a list of previous team members who edited with Kaart but are no longer active in the Kaart data team.
Previous Team Members (by name)
Please send any general feedback on Kaart's work on OpenStreetMap to Aaron Young.