- This page refers to the country. For other uses, see Lebanon (disambiguation).
Lebanon, Western Asia
|latitude: 33.86, longitude: 35.72|
|Browse map of Lebanon 33°51′36.00″ N, 35°43′12.00″ E|
|Use this template for your city|
Lebanon is a country in Western Asia at latitude 33°51′36.00″ North, longitude 35°43′12.00″ East.
- Beirut Mapping Party took place on August 29th, with 25 participants!
- Beirut featured as a Best of OpenStreetMap city at SOTM09 :)
There's a lot of work to be done for OSM Lebanon.
- Subscribe to the OpenStreetMap Lebanon discussion list and introduce your self; you can freely use arabic, english or french as language. The list archives are also available.
- Take a look at the Beginners' guide if you own tracking equipment and would like to start mapping.
- If you don't own a GPS log tracker or GPS receiver, you can still contribute with the mapping through:
- Tagging points of interest (POI's) in already mapped areas using Potlatch, Merkaartor or JOSM software. Think in particular of public services (civil administration like driving license delivery points, cadastre, courts of justice, social welfare, post offices, post boxes, telecoms etc... ), schools, universities, movies, theatre, hospitals/clinics, restaurants, tourist sites, monuments, parks, bus stations, harbors, piers, forests, parcs, banks with/without ATM.
- Enhance or add the name of cities, villages, rivers, lakes, etc.
- Map highways and tracks (using relations).
- Contribute to the wiki or complete the Arabic and French translation.
- Get in contact with public surveying institutions and collect information about licensing and the possibility of using their data for the OpenStreetMap project.
- Use OSM data on your GPS device or phone. Check OSM Map On Garmin/Download.
- Advertise OSM and get your colleagues involved in the project.
- Arabic and Latin naming: villages, towns, cities, regions, mouhafazat and cadaa. Initial dump of LebanonPlaceNames already available.
- Identify and tag major geographic features like rivers, lakes, forests, agricultural/industrial/academic/residential zones.
- Research official governmental sources for street names.
- Set up appropriate tagging system for Lebanon highways: motorways, trunks, primary, secondary, tertiary residential, tracks (agricultural are often seen there... ) and the way to give them a name or a number.
Temporary note: we need to define a new page for the above link for admin maps , not a link to a single image, because there are more then one.
- Please check the FAQ section for common problems and their solution.
- Mashreq international roads
- 1, 2 and 3 are the main roads from Bayrut.
- 4, 5, 6 and 9 are other main routes.
Rivers and waterways
State of cities and villages in Lebanon
|Baalbeck||needs local mappers|
|Beirut||work in progress|
|Chtaura||needs local mappers|
|Halba||needs local mappers|
|Hermel||needs local mappers|
|Saida||needs local mappers|
|Sour||needs local mappers|
|Tripoli||needs local mappers|
|Zahleh||needs local mappers|
Please be kind and discuss potential major changes to the wiki, with the users below:
Mappers in Lebanon
Check the list of Users in Lebanon.
To add yourself to the list of mappers, simply add the following line of codes on your wiki page:
- Lebanon mappers: [[Category:Users in Lebanon|YourWikiUserName]]
- Specific city mappers (eg. Beirut): [[Category:Users in Beirut|YourWikiUserName]]
- Address of Ministry of Public Works and Transport
Kaart conducts ground surveys for improvements to OSM data. A list of editors can be found on the Kaart wiki page.
- Mapillary imagery from the Lebanon drive can be viewed here.
Beirut (May, 2019)
- Primary focus was on adding names to streets where there was no available data in OSM.
- Most streets had a label of one format or another. There were either street signs on corners, or street names were gathered using address plaques on homes.
- After the ground survey was conducted, our office team reviewed the footage gathered and updated street names by checking consistency and road signs.
- We also focused on adding turn restrictions, turning lanes, surface types, and lanes.
Suggested Community Edits
- Further name verification and addition should be continued throughout the outskirts of Beirut.
- There is still a lot of missing geometry on the outskirts of Beirut. Community efforts in drawing in missing geometry would make a significant difference in the overall quality of the map.