Welcome to WikiProject Chad!
This page describes activities of the Chad OSM community and the development of open-source cartography in this African country.
| Chad, Africa|
|latitude: 15.626, longitude: 18.737|
|Browse map of Chad 15°37′33.60″ N, 18°44′13.20″ E|
|Use this template for your city|
Chad is a country in Africa at latitude 15°37′33.60″ North, longitude 18°44′13.20″ East.
|OpenStreetMap images (and underlying map data) are freely available under OpenStreetMap License.|
Geographical data for Chad
Access OSM data for Chad in various GIS formats throught the HOT Exports Tools - Chad
Access OSM data for Africa in various GIS formats throught the Geofabrik Downloads
Open Data published on Humanitarian Data Exchange (HDX) about Chad.
Download the OSM map of Chad for your Garmin GPS. This map is updated every 24 hours.
HOT in Chad
HOT started its activities in Chad in October 2012, conducting a mapping project in Southern Chad (Goré), as part of the EUROSHA project together with ACRA and France Volontaires. The initial focus was on baseline mapping of Goré and surrounding refugee camps and villages. Lately the EUROSHA projet's activities expanded to other Chadien towns - Maro, Doba, Moundou, N'Djamena and Mongo. The field activities of HOT and of the EUROSHA volunteers were finished in April 2013.
All these activities are meant to support the growth of a local OSM group in Chad and the growth of the OSM project Chad.
- Mapping party with EUROSHA CHAD Project at ACRA (Goré) field surveys of central Goré 10-27-2012 and 11-17-2012
- Mapping party with EUROSHA CHAD Project at World Food Program (Goré) field surveys of central Goré 10-30-2012 and 11-10-2012
- Mapping party with EUROSHA CHAD Project at CARE (Goré) field surveys of central Goré 11-22-2012 and field surveys of Amboko and Gondjé camps and outskirts 12-14-2012
- Mapping party with EUROSHA CHAD Project at Moundou University [field surveys of the campus and central Moundou] 01-16-2013
- Mapping party with EUROSHA CHAD Project at ISFOP with Association pour le Développement du Logiciel Libre (ADIL) and the High Technology Centre (N'Djaména) field surveys of Sabangali district in N'Djaména 01-30-2013, 02-01-2013 and 02-02-2013
- Mapping party with EUROSHA CHAD Project at Goré's Police Station with various local authorities (Goré) [field surveys of central Goré] 02-07-2013
- Mapping party with EUROSHA CHAD Project at ACRA (Maro) with its various partners [field surveys in the base] 02-07-2013
- Mapping party with EUROSHA CHAD Project at Doba University (Doba) [field surveys of the campus] 02-08-2013
- Mapping party with EUROSHA CHAD Project at Moundou's Municipality with staffs from the Municipality and local civil servants from the Ministry of Spatial Planning (Moundou) [field surveys in the base] 02-12-2013
- Mapping party with EUROSHA CHAD Project at Centre National d'Appui à la Recherche with the main actors of Geomatic and Mapping scene in Chad (N'Djaména) field surveys in the base 02-14-2013, 02-15-2013 and 02-16-2013
- Conference (Friday of Scientific Research) with EUROSHA CHAD Project at Centre Al Mouna “La Cartographie Libre sous OpenStreetMap” (N'Djaména) 02-15-2013
- Mapping party with EUROSHA CHAD Project at France Volontaires Tchad (N'Djaména) [field surveys in the base] 02-18-2013
- Mapping party with EUROSHA CHAD Project at Moundou University [field surveys of the campus] 02-27-2013
- Mapping party with EUROSHA CHAD Project at the base of ACRA (Maro) with its partners 02-28-2013
- Mapping party with EUROSHA CHAD Project at Centre National d'Appui à la Recherche with the students of N'Djaména University and the NGO Sahel (N'Djaména) field surveys in the base 03-07-2013, 03-08-2013 and 03-09-2013
- Restitution of EUROSHA CHAD Project in the National Library (N'Djamena) 03-14-2013
- The days of open-source with EUROSHA CHAD Project in the National Library (N'Djamena) 03-15-2013 and 03-16-2013
- Restitution of EUROSHA CHAD Project at the base of ACRA (Goré) 03-20-2013
- Mapping party with EUROSHA CHAD Project at World Food Program (Mongo) with ACRA and AURA partners 03-20-2013 and 03-21-2013
- Mapping party with EUROSHA CHAD Project at Centre National d'Appui à la Recherche with the teachers of Abéché, Ati, Mongo and Sarh Universities(N'Djaména) field surveys in the base 03-26-2013 and 03-27-2013
If you have a goal that you are working towards or one that you would like to see get done then add it to the list here, create a section where it can be coordinated and tracked, and a way of measuring progress.
- Place names. This item is especially important if you are located in Chad: remote mapping can do a lot, but finding local names is best done on the ground.
- Street layout of major cities. Ndjamena, Goré are taking shape nicely, but other cities (Moundou, Doba, Maro) are barely getting started.
- Completion of the network of major roads, including roads to neighboring countries.
The official languages of Chad are Arabic and French. The preferred naming scheme is the following:
- name=<French name> <Arabic name> French name on the left side, Arabic name on the right side.
(As separator a space character should be used. If digitals are used in the name, the name should be separated with a slash <fr> / <ar>.)
- name:ar=<Arabic name> Arabic name.
- name:fr=<French name> French name.
- name:en=<english name> Should be also added to make working with the map easier for users, who don't speak Arabic or French.
- Often no exact names exist, especially in smaller villages. Try to use the most common name. Alternative names can be added under alt_name; local pronounciations under loc_name.
- Name tagging inconsistencies
- Data quality
- Errors and warnings in JOSM and Osmose
- Data to import into OSM.
Where & what to Map
- Maro and refugee camps with their surrounding villages
- Harazé and refugee camp with their surrounding villages
In the following table you can find the list of jobs that have been created in the HOT Tasking Manager in order to better coordinate the remote mapping activities for Chad. Feel free to participate in remote tracing of buildings, roads and areas.
|Place||Tasking Manager Job||Tasking Manager Progression||Comments|
|N'Djamena||EUROSHA Chad N'djamena job 1: mapping roads and buildings.||4%||We need more mappers to continue in this job as well as to check the already existing data quality.|
|N'Djamena, Sabangali||Eurosha Chad, N'Djamena, Sabangali, cartographie à distance||47%||remote mapping of the neighborhood Sabangali in N'Djamena|
|N'Djamena, Sabangali||Eurosha Chad, N'Djamena, Sabangali, travail sur le terrain||24%||field mapping of the neighborhood Sabangali, N'Djamena|
|Doba||Eurosha Chad, Doba: mapping roads and buidlings||4%|
|Maro||Eurosha Chad, Maro: mapping roads and buildings||0%|
|Mongo||EUROSHA TCHAD MONGO||30%|
Field Mapping (MSF project)
MSF's principal medical activity in the district of Moissala in southern Chad is to provide preventative and curative care for malarial infection for pregnant women and children under 5. In 2015, MSF is planning a pilot activity of indoor residual spraying (IRS) in the eastern zone of Moissala to further increase the prevention of Malaria for families who are isolated on the other side of the Bahr-Sara River, far from the referral hospital. The first round of spraying is scheduled for April 2015.
The logistics team in Moissala is working hard on a detailed map of the 133 villages in the zone in order to plan for the month-long spraying campaign with the help of local volunteers. Mapping the area will greatly help the team effectively plan their movements between villages and ensure they are able to reach all households and further decrease the transmission of this deadly disease for the population.
They have collected the field data below and we need to add it to OSM.
Note, this is not a task on the HOT tasking manager and should be managed by editing the table below to indicate that you are working on a Canton.
In the following table you can find the data and gpx data (by Canton) and the associated survey. Please upload the tracks and points to JOSM, then trace any missing roads and residential areas, and add the village names.
|name=*||The name of the village|
|is_in=*||The name of the canton (for example, Bekamba)|
Please remember to indicate if you have started to work on any of the cantons listed by editing the table below. One canton per person please to prevent duplication!
|Bekamba||GPX and survey data for Bekamba||Pete Masters||Done|
|Gabian||GPX and survey data for Gabian||Lisa Marie Owen||Done|
|Dembo||GPX and survey data for Dembo||Pete Masters and Laura Green||Done. Some unsurveyed villages found on the Bing imagery south of Mangara by the river (named 'missing village')|
|Nadili||GPX and survey data for Nadili||Pete Masters and Laura Green||Done.|
Please use the default Bing imagery to help with the digitisation. Please add the following as the changeset comment: Moissala, #Chad #FieldMapping, #MSF, #MissingMaps, source=survey
Imagery and sources
Bing coverage for Chad is available at a high resolution in many areas including Ndjamena, Moundou, Doba and Goré. It does not need to be offset and the imagery is relatively recent 2010-2012.
Historical maps from the Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection provide resources - make sure you cross-check them.
- Quality control with Osmose - Quality control with Osmose
Connect to other Openstreetmap contributors active in Chad :
- check the mailing list talk cd which will soon be created
- follow us on Facebook - Communaute OSM au Tchad
- follow us on Twitter - ComOSMTchad
Among many others :