Malaysia, Southeastern Asia
|latitude: 4.204, longitude: 109.171|
|Browse map of Malaysia 4°12′14.40″ N, 109°10′15.60″ E|
|Use this template for your city|
Malaysia is a country in Southeastern Asia at latitude 4°12′14.40″ North, longitude 109°10′15.60″ East.
Pokémon™ Go mappers are most welcome! Here's some tips to begin with.|
Pemain Pokémon™ Go? Sebelum mula membuat penyuntingan, jemput-jemputlah baca panduan ini terlebih dahulu.
Hello and welcome to the Malaysia mapping project!
Questions? Discussions? You are invited to join the official OpenStreetMap community forum. The Malaysian community forum is also there, so feel free to post anything related (not spam though). In addition, OpenStreetMap Q&A based help forum is another channel to get a fast response. There exists a Telegram group for informal public chat/discussion on mapping/using OpenStreetMaps for Malaysia.
This page roughly gives some hint about the specific ways to tag a lot of stuff in the Malaysian context. To maintain the map quality over Malaysia with respect to the rest of the world, there should be some sort of convention. Any constructive feedback is really appreciated, do speak your mind in the Malaysian community forum!
|Penutur bahasa Melayu?|
|Jemput ke halaman Wiki OpenStreetMap yang diterjemahkan dalam bahasa Melayu.|
These pages describe the conventions to tag Malaysian highways, waterways, names, etc.
How to map a place name? Easy. Just describe the place, as shown on erected signs! Not sure what the name is? Leave it blank - no need to make up for it! The description of the points themselves will do their work!
As a kind reminder, besides your knowledge, these are the other sources that can be used to put data into OpenStreetMap.
Permitted data sources
Please make full use of anything that comes with the editor. It doesn't hurt to read more about these, in fact, it may help you save a lot of time in the future.
- Tracing layer: DigitalGlobe, Bing, Mapbox and Esri. This screen capture shows you how.
- Available street level photos from Mapillary or OpenStreetCam.
- GPS tracks from public OpenStreetMap GPS tracks. Enable OpenStreetMap GPS traces in the background menu.
Forbidden data sources
- Google Maps, Google Satellite, Google Earth and Google Street View
- HERE Maps
- Wikipedia and Wikidata
- Malfreemaps or Malsingmaps
We can use satellite imagery provided by Bing, but please do not copy map data (such as name of roads and places) from Bing Maps!
Routable Maps of Malaysia
For Garmin devices, options such as Lambertus's routable maps for Garmin devices is a thing. Osm2mp converts OpenStreetMap data into Polish map format (MP). mkgmap (Mkgmap wiki) converts OpenStreetMap data into Garmin img map (IMG). Read more about OSM Map On Garmin.
Kaart Groundwork & Editing
- Mapillary imagery from the Malaysia drives can be viewed here.
Malaysia (January, 2020)
- The primary focus for ground surveys is adding street names, missing geometry, and one-ways.
- After the ground survey has been conducted, our office team focuses on reviewing the footage gathered and updating street names by integrating the current data and physical road signs.
- The team adds turn restrictions, barriers, pedestrian crossings, ref tags, surfaces to roads, lanes, classifications, destination tags, and additional missing geometry.
Suggested Community Edits
- After incorporating the available data from the ground survey and processing the footage we will compile suggested edits for the region.
- Malaysia GPS Trace
- OSM Mapper - keep track of edit sessions on your areas
- OSM Forum
- OSM Forum - users:Malaysia
The followings are recommended readings for everyone
- Map Making Overview
- Map Features
- Editing Standards and Conventions
- Mapping techniques
- Sample areas, Karlsruhe Schema
- Potlatch, JOSM, Maperitive, Osmosis
- Routing, OSM tags for routing, JOSM Relations and Turn Based Restrictions
- Neat Stuff
Other crowdsource mapping communities in Malaysia
- Showing redaction "Google as a source"
- Showing redaction "Google Street View"
- 2a. Can I trace data from Google Maps/Nokia Maps/...? section of the Legal FAQ.
- Importing geodata from Wikipedia
- [OSM-talk] Redactions in North Korea
- Importing data from Wikidata into OSM
- Putting OSM data into wikimapia is not allowed
- About Malfreemaps - license incompatibility
- Malsingmaps copyright notice - Malsingmaps is for personal use only