2018 Cyclone Gita - Tonga
Cyclone Gita has impacted in February 2018 several insular nations in Oceania, most significantly, Tonga. HOT has activated to support response and relief efforts.
For Aid Organizations
Map and Data Services
OpenStreetMap offers an online map (and spatial database) which is updated by the minute. Various tools and services allow data extracts for GIS specialists, Routable Garmin GPS data, Smartphone GPS navigation, and other device-compatible downloads. With an internet connection, regular syncing is possible with open access to the community contributed data as it comes in, with OpenStreetMap's bulk data downloads ideal for use offline. In addition, maps can also be printed to paper.
Browse the Activation Area to get a feel for the data that is currently available. Different map styles including an Humanitarian style can be selected on the right side, and some data may not render (appear) on the map, but could be exported from the underlying database (See export section below).
Exporting OpenStreetMap data
Automatically updated datasets from Tonga can by found on The Humanitarian Data Exchange (HDX)
Usage of OSM data for Humanitarian Missions
About This Activation
- To learn more about the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT), explore more of our wiki-pages (root: HOT) or our website hotosm.org. We are a global community of mostly volunteers, we are also a US Nonprofit able to contract with organizations (email info at hotosm.org to contact our staff), we are also a 501-c-3 charitable organization.
History of this Activation
Reactivity of the OSM Community
- February 11 - HOT coordinators begin evaluating Tonga in OSM ahead of impact.
- February 12 - HOT receives a notification that UNOSAT will be responding and may need assistance.
- February 12 - Gap in data and imagery for Eua island is identified, initial mapping projects released.
Tools, Adaptation and Services
The various OSM developers communicate over internet through various communication channels. In 2013 they implemented the new Humanitarian Map Style, a map more adapted to humanitarian actions. This map, hosted by OpenStreetMap - France, is integrated in various online map tools.
The Tasking Manager and the JOSM editor are essential parts of this Activation. As new imagery are available, new jobs are added to the Tasking Manager. It has allowed HOT to coordinate efforts of mappers around the world. Some days there were more then 200 simultaneous mappers registered on the Task Manager and editing mainly with the JOSM editor. Online editors are also used for less intensive mapping. LearnOSM offers learning material for beginners and more advanced mappers.
This Activation is being coordinated by Blake Girardot and Russell Deffner of HOT.
Support being provided by Nate Smith, Cristiano Giovando, Philipp Ulbrich and Rebecca Firth of HOT.
- Response on hold, awaiting imagery for remaining islands, thank you for all the mapping so far!
How You Can Contribute
Learn to Map
- Most of our volunteer needs are for remote OSM contributors, visit LearnOSM.org to get started.
- Add additional guidance for tagging in the DMP/Activation area here...
- Please choose from highest priority first
- Experienced mappers are also asked to participate in validating completed tasks. Information on validating can be found here
|Job No.||Priority||Location||What to map||Imagery Source||Task Mapping Status||Task Validation Status|
|Awaiting Imagery||Urgent||Eua, Tonga||Buildings||DG Open||In Progress (0%)||In Progress (0%)|
|Project 4237||Complete||Tatakamotonga, Tonga||Buildings||DG Open||Complete (100%)||Complete (100%)|
|Project 4214||Complete||Tokomololo, Tonga||Buildings||DG Open||Complete (100%)||Complete (100%)|
|Project 4209||Complete||Nuku'Alofa, Tonga||Buildings||DG Open||Complete (100%)||Complete (100%)|
|Project 4175||Complete||Sopu, Tonga||Buildings||UAV||Complete (100%)||Complete (100%)|
|Project 4174||Complete||Navutoka, Tonga||Buildings||UAV||Complete (100%)||Complete (100%)|
|Project 4167||Complete||Kolovai, Tonga||Buildings||UAV||Complete (100%)||Complete (100%)|
|Project 4163||Complete||Eua Island, Tonga||Buildings||DG Standard||Complete (100%)||Complete (100%)|
- Add your event here...
- Add past mapping events/projects in the impacted area here...
- Provide relevant links here...