|Definition:||Mapping police facilites in a more specific manner.|
|The Feature Page for this approved proposal is located at Key:police.|
Police facilites shall be mapped in a more differentiated way. police=* shall be used for all police facilites, except police stations, defining them by their use (see list below). amenity=police will be maintained for public-facing police facilities in the narrow sense.
This is a stripped-down version of Proposed_Features/Police_facilites.
There are many different types of police facilites. Some serve the public immediately and may be important to locate quickly, such as police stations, while others provide only internal services and are not meant for public access or have special uses and are open to the public only upon invitation, e.g. barracks for special units, offices, warehouses, criminal investigation units.
Currently, all police facilites tend to be mapped as amenity=police, independently of the type of facility. OSM is therefore of no use to locate police stations in case of emergencies and does not allow to render facilites according to their type.
A proper tagging scheme for the police using police=* and amenity=police paves the way to properly tag the world of police facilites in the future. It will make OSM better adapted to the needs of its users, allowing to locate different types of police facilites more accurately. And, above all, it will allow to distinguish classical police stations as points of first contact from other police facilites.
amenity=police is in heavy use already, with currently over 116 000 instances all over the world. However, the current lack of differentiation among police stations and other police facilites, makes it necessary to review the tagging of facilites that have been tagged as amenity=police. Also, current rendering of these facilities is of limited practical use, because there is no way to know whether a place tagged amenity=police effectively is a police station or will turn out to be only an office building, a warehouse or something else.
police=* is currently used in very few cases. There are only 1 125 instances, most of which are in Brazil and only affect part of the police facilites there. The key is also very poorly documented. It therefore appears reasonable to re-assign the police=* key to hold the type of police facility.
The following scheme shall be established:
amenity=police shall continue to be used on all public-facing police facilities for the sake of backward compatibility. Public-facing police facilites are typically police stations that serve as first point of contact for the public. This will eventually have to be made clearer in the wiki.
|police||barracks||Barracks, similar to military=barracks, e.g. to house special units.|
|police||checkpoint||A permanent police checkpoint.|
|police||offices||Police administration in general, usually no attention to the public.|
|police||storage||A storage facility for material used by the police|
|police||range||A shooting range used for training by the police|
|police||training_area||A training facility for the police, e.g. sports grounds|
|police||naval_base||Port facilities or a naval police station used by the police, e.g. river police or coast guard.|
|police||detention||A police holding or custodial facility, for short-term deprivation of liberty. This is intended for bigger holding facilites with several cells that are typically in separate buildings or parts of buildings and should not be used to map holding cells that are usually part of police stations.|
|police||car_repair||Maintenance facilities for police vehicles.|
|police||car_pound||An area where vehicles impounded by the police are stored.|
|police||yes||If the type of facility cannot be determined.|
Other police-related keys, such as police:FR=* can be applied as always. Further specification or localised tags may be developed separately.
Typical police stations, i.e. places where one can get in contact with the police, should be rendered different from other police facilites. These stations are usually manned 24/7 in cities, but may have limited opening hours in rural parts but display a contact phone or have an emergency phone installed. Rendering for amenity=police shall be maintainted. Rendering for other police facilities will have to be defined.
Please commenwt on the discussion page.
- I approve this proposal. Third time lucky, hopefully! :-)--Fizzie41 (talk) 21:47, 28 April 2019 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --Anakil (talk) 22:20, 28 April 2019 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --Locator (talk) 22:50, 28 April 2019 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. Thanks for all your work on this. --Dr Centerline (talk) 22:52, 28 April 2019 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --Grimpeur78 (talk) 02:28, 29 April 2019 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --Mateusz Konieczny (talk) 07:24, 29 April 2019 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. Thanks for working on this. :)--PangoSE (talk) 17:42, 29 April 2019 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --Discostu36 (talk) 20:41, 29 April 2019 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --NitaRae (talk) 21:05, 29 April 2019 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. A small but usefull step. Warin61 (talk) 05:12, 1 May 2019 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. clean and simple tagging. great --Werner2101 (talk) 07:30, 1 May 2019 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. I once stumbled into some kind of police depot; they could help me though :-) --Wulf4096 (talk) 15:03, 1 May 2019 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --Westnordost (talk) 23:13, 1 May 2019 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --AgusQui (talk) 13:17, 2 May 2019 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --TheBlackMan (talk) 14:02, 2 May 2019 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --Jmapb (talk) 16:05, 2 May 2019 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --Nw520 (talk) 11:18, 5 May 2019 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --Dakon (talk) 15:39, 5 May 2019 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --Gendy54 (talk) 18:29, 5 May 2019 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --Fanfouer (talk) 19:25, 5 May 2019 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. Good things come in threes. Jamais deux sans trois. --Nospam2005 (talk) 20:06, 5 May 2019 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. This is great! I hope similar approach can be applied for educational features. --Yumean1119 (talk) 00:43, 6 May 2019 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --M-rey (talk) 11:14, 6 May 2019 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --حبيشان (talk) 14:25, 6 May 2019 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --Gileri (talk) 19:43, 6 May 2019 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --The knife (talk) 11:50, 8 May 2019 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --Marc marc (talk) 12:14, 8 May 2019 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --Kazing (talk) 07:55, 10 May 2019 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --Thetornado76 (talk) 19:43, 14 May 2019 (UTC)