This is a proposal for a set of tags and members making a Relation for networks.
A network groups together routes that share common characteristics, e.g. a common operator, a common classification scheme (e.g. E-road network: "E 1", ..., "E 999"), ...
- Person A sees a bus route with number 217 and wonders how many other bus routes exist in that city.
- Renderer M wants to render all German motorways using white font on blue sign (official layout), and all E-roads with white font on green sign. This can be implemented by adding rules for 20614 and 20645 .
- Renderer M wants to render all cycle routes that belong to the "D-Netz". However, there are a lot of other national cycle routes as well.
- The name of the route does only have to be typed in once and not in every member, which limits the possibility of mistakes.
- Overlay websites/applications would be able to choose between networks more easily.
- Possibility of use of roles
- Proposing role: 'outer_limit' to be able to display the outer rim in a different fashion (different color or thicker line) on maps.
These relations are already in use: