|place = islet|
|A very small island.|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: de facto|
|Tools for this tag|
An Mean High Water Spring tide less than 1 square kilometre (11,000,000 sq ft) are to be tagged as islets. Generally, islets are too small to support continuous occupation without shipments from a mainland or other island. Types of islet include rocks with some vegetation, small river islands, subsidiary islands, sea stacks and isolated sand bars. Some islets are tidal islands meaning that they're only surrounded by the sea when the tides are high enough.is any very small island -- for the purposes of OSM, all islands with land area at
See also: Differentiation between an island and an islet (list with examples)(de).
How to map
- You can also add the way into a multipolygon relation depending on how the surrounding water is tagged.
- If the islet is located in the sea or ocean, add natural=coastline
- place=island any bigger islands
- place=archipelago for groups of islands and islets
- natural=coastline for mapping the coastline of islets in the sea