Talk:Using OpenStreetMap offline
Merge with Using OpenStreetMap and remove this page
This page is is linked only 4 times, but some content from here will be intersting for "Using OpenStreetMap" readers under "using data offline" section. Also, routing was already mentioned at Using OpenStreetMap. There no need to mention offline editors IMO since many GIS and other software falls here, but this is unfeasible for landing page (Using OpenStreetMap). Xxzme (talk) 00:13, 10 December 2014 (UTC)
- Personally I find this page useful and I think it is big enough to deserve it's own page. --Jgpacker (talk) 12:15, 10 December 2014 (UTC)
Propose adding a table with currently-known offline mapping solutions or experiments
OpenStreetMap has the ability, and licensing flexibility to allow limited offline mapping, which is an acknowledged strength. However the knowledge presented in the Wiki appears somewhat outdated and incomplete, correct me if I'm wrong.
Perhaps users with recent experience of attempts and solutions can vouch for their efficacy. A few possibly new projects skimmed off the top of Google search results:
Herewith a proposal to add a user-managed table listing currently-known attempts and solutions to achieve offline maps. A table allows for a "Status" field / cell so projects and research can go on-hold without deleting them from the wiki.
A possible issue is the amount of horizontal space the headers will take up. Some columns can just be checkboxes, and generally vertical headers are best here.
Header item descriptions eg. - [interchangeable with / similar to / moved to (if defunct)] - can be available on-hover, if that's possible to do with the MediaWiki version.
Here are the suggested columns. Some items may be overkill / too much info. Will suggest a revision or follow suggestions, pending discussion.
- Project Home URL
- made by [person / org / co]
- Description [component / complete solution]
- Status [last active as of / defunct as of]
- Alternative [interchangeable with / similar to / moved to (if defunct)]
- License / Price
- Github URL
- Demo URL
- Offline maps [caveats / parameters]
- Vector Tiles
- Image Tiles
- Image (not tiled)
- Type is [tutorial / library / app]
- on platform [Linux / MacOS / Win / Web / iOS / Android]
- using [<language-name/s> / GUI]
- with components [leaflet.js / mapbox-gl / .etc]
Target usage <section-divider>
- Desktop OS app
- Website / Browser-based