| tourism = hotel
|Used to tag a hotel.|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
A hotel is an establishment that provides paid lodging, usually on a short-term basis. Hotels often provide a number of additional guest services such as a restaurant, a swimming pool or childcare. Some hotels have conference services and meeting rooms and encourage groups to hold conventions and meetings at their location
How to map
If high resolution imagery is available, or you have walked around the perimeter of the building and have a suitable GPX trace, draw the outline of the hotel and add the tags to the way. If not, create a node at the centre of the building. In either case, the main tag to use is tourism=hotel.
In some countries (think Ecuador) it seems it's the hotel owner himself that assign stars. The rating tends to be rather high. Other hotels don't rate themselves at all, thinking it's not their job. How should we tag hotels if there is no official rating? I suggest we use the Hotelstars rating from the Wikipedia page (see link below). However, I've never seen the Superior flag in use, and there's no tag for it in openstreetmap. I suggest use the rating without the S flag.
There is a nice proposal that is able to deal with all kind of ratings (be it stars or diamonds or whatever) also in parallel: Proposed features/Awards and ratings. This system proposes award:hotelstars=* for the European Hotelstar system.
See Amsterdam for a reference.
- building=yes or building=hotel, useful to map the building itself
- wheelchair=no/yes/number of rooms
- blind=(no)/yes/number of rooms
- Proposed features/Awards and ratings a better system to tag hotel ratings like stars.
- Hotel on Wikipedia
- tourism=camp_site, a place used for overnight stay in the out of doors
- tourism=hostel, cheap accommodation with shared bedrooms
- tourism=motel, short term accommodation, particularly for people traveling by car