This page is intended to collect all ideas concerning indoor mapping activities.
Indoor maps or information can be used for various applications, e.g.
- Indoor Navigation/Routing
- 3D Visualization
- 2D Maps
- Public Participation
- Emergency response
- Interested Amenities Display (e.g. Toilets, Fire Extinguisher, First Aid Box)
for different venues, e.g.
- Train and subway stations
- Shopping Malls
- multi storey parking decks
- other public buildings
The following page contains a list of venue use case examples, with sample maps from the venues: indoor/use cases
Currently these users are working on indoor related topics:
- Gomar1985 Indoor Proposal (IndoorOSM), Rendering of multi-level building maps in 2D (http://indoorosm.uni-hd.de/) and 3D, Indoor Routing/Navigation (http://indoorosm.uni-hd.de/)
- andreas.balzer Extension and aggregation of indoor proposals, see andreas.balzer, Rendering (own render engine in C#, yet to be published), Routing (modified OsmSharp)
- Xianlin NUS Indoor Map, Singapore
- AeroSuch Co-founder of indoor mapping startup BuildingLayer. Maintains Indoor Navigation Market spreadsheet.
- Sutter Working on an indoor map editor Indoor/Termite
- MappedIn[] - Your Guide to the Indoor World []
There is now a new subforum for Indoor-Mapping:
Let's try to increase the communication in this project. --Andi 12:03, 3 October 2012 (BST)
- FOSSGIS 2012: http://www.fossgis.de/konferenz/2012/programm/events/468.de.html
Tags in use
- level=n - indicates floor level as it is indicated "in real world".
- <n> is usually an integer number, sometimes also one or two characters, sometimes combined (e.g. A,B,C,1,2,3).
- in any case, <n> should be ascending (towards the sky).
- in some cultures base level is indicated by level 0, in other cultures ground floor is level 1 (or A).
- there are also usages reported where fraction numbers are used (e.g. level=2.5) indicating a "mezzanine" or "intermediate level" (e.g. intermediate stairway platforms).
- room=yes - see key wiki page for additional values to describe the type more detailed
- entrance=yes - room or building entrance
- capacity=* - number of seats in a room
- highway=corridor - indoor ways
- indoor=yes - indicates any osm object being inside a room, a building (or both) or a shelter.
- Are there already engines rendering several levels in buildings or subway stations?
- Yes, but currently there is currently no public accessible demonstration. --Saerdnaer 14:50, 1 December 2011 (UTC)
- for the IndoorOSM model proposal there is a 2D online map available: http://indoorosm.uni-hd.de
- A small group of students (including myself) at Technical University of Munich has developed a basic 2D rendering engine for the Proposed_features/indoor proposal. It will be published around 26th of April. --andreas.balzer 01:17, 13 April 2012 (UTC)
- Idea: If there are levels in an area, there shall be an icon placed. If you click it, you can choose with one of the levels (e.g. 2nd floor) shall be displayed.
- It should be noted that the same complications apply to rendering multilevel streets: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=41.887117&lon=-87.625117&zoom=18&layers=M --NE2 17:09, 23 January 2012 (UTC)
- The altitude value of GPS devices could be used to identify in which level of a parking multi storey a car is located.
Devices / Technologies
- High sensitivity GPS device
- Step counter
- Accelleration sensor
- Counting the number of wheel turns in cars / Tachometer
- Counting the number of floor tiles
- Audio footprint for rooms
Indoor actives related to OSM:
http://ba.andreas-hubel.de/webapp/levelable indoor maps from OSM data implemented with Kothic JS
- http://indoorosm.uni-hd.de indoorOSM project from OSM data - a project of the University of Heidelberg
- FootPath, infrastructureless indoor navigation on OSM data for smart phones (Android) at COMSYS, RWTH Aachen University video
- Richard Atterer's Leadme project A spare time project by Richard Atterer for home made indoor mapping .
- Termite - an editor specialized for indoor maps.
activities outside OSM where moved to Indoor/Projects
There is a discussion of challenges of adding indoor maps to OSM at Challenges_for_Indoor_Maps
Places with indoor coverage
- TUM Mathematics/Computer Science Department: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=48.262437&lon=11.667689&zoom=18
- Marienplatz: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=48.1374683976173&lon=11.5761378407478&zoom=18
- Karlsplatz (Stachus): http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=48.13948&lon=11.566149&zoom=18
- Hauptbahnhof: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=48.141162&lon=11.56094&zoom=18
- Dreiflüsse-Einkaufzentrum http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=48.563378&lon=13.431078&zoom=18&layers=M
- Institut of Geography http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=49.418434&lon=8.677004&zoom=18&layers=M
- bcc Berliner Congress Center http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.520765&lon=13.416662&zoom=18
- Schloss-Arkaden and Schlosscarree http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.264004&lon=10.528049&zoom=18
- RWTH Computer Science Center Hörn: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=50.778845&lon=6.060025&zoom=18&layers=M
- RWTH UMIC Research Center: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=50.778834&lon=6.065266&zoom=18&layers=M
- Technische Universität Ilmenau, Campus http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=50.682884&lon=10.937887&zoom=18&layers=M
- Los Baños, Laguna
- University of the Philippines Los Baños (various buildings) http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=14.16534&lon=121.24303&zoom=17
- San Pablo City, Laguna
- SM City San Pablo http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=14.071238&lon=121.30207&zoom=18
- HSR Hochschule für Technik http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=47.2232387959957&lon=8.81700843572617&zoom=18
- Shopping mall "Jazz" http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=48.944006&lon=38.493187&zoom=18&layers=M
- Futako Tamagawa rise
- Shibuya Hikarie
- AKASAKA Biz Tower