|Indicates the subtypes of government agencies and institutions.|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
The key government=* can be used to define subtypes of government agencies and institutions. It should be used together with office=government. The tag admin_level=* can be used in conjunction to indicate the administrative level (federal, provincial, state, municipal, etc.).
- government=presidency to indicate the seat or an official residence for the head of state.
- government=ministry to indicate the main seat of a ministry or department. Do not use this for all offices and services resorting under a ministry, i.e. do not use this tag for prisons or tax offices even if they fall under the Ministry of Justice and the Ministry of Finance, respectively.
- government=legislative to indicate the seat of a legislative parliament, senate, or national assemblee (some countries or states have bicameral systems distinguishing them but they are usually distinguished only by their name).
- government=prosecutor to indicate an office of a public prosecutor.
- government=tax to indicate a tax office.
- government=transportation to indicate a transportation office or a DMV in the United States.
- government=register_office to indicate a register office (office to register births, marriages and deaths, locations of migrants, sometimes also to register electors or to deliver some permissions). In many countries this function is a mandatory mission of local collectivities (usually municipalities) but some countries with large rural areas have register offices only at a higher level (county, province, prefecture...) with additional local offices in the most dense and populated cities (but not in every town or village) in which case you'll need this government tag. These offices may be also a service operated locally by the police, or by a local religious authority. In such cases it may not needed to tag these offices separately. The relevant country project page should give details about what is needed.
- government=audit, a Court of Audit or Court of Accounts, a government institution performing financial and/or legal audit (i.e. Statutory audit or External audit) on the executive branch of power.
Values found with Taginfo
The table below shows a selection of the best values (in the opinion of one mapper) for this key found in Taginfo. Most of them are undocumented, but the occurrence count is shown so you can have some parameter of what is used more. Keep in mind that some of them may be unclear, redundant or conflicting. Feel free to contribute with the documentation of those tags.