|office = government|
|An office of a (supra)national, regional or local government agency or department|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
The tag office=government is used to tag government offices of a (supra)national, regional or local government agency or department. In these offices, staff work directly for the government and carry out tasks to administer facilities, operate registries and licensing bureaus, regulate lands and/or people, etc.
Examples include the ministry of foreign affairs, the tax office, or the local roadworks authority.
The tag can be used for offices of all branches of government: executive, legislative, and judiciary. But note that courthouses have a more specific tag amenity=courthouse; however the highest authorities suypervising national institutions and asserting the constitutionality of laws and judiciary decisions are not always high courts: they may be "councils", independant themselves from all other branches of government, and have their own administration (and a dedicated working budget, whose usage may still be supervized by another independant accounting auditor or high court).
The government=* tag can be used to define subtypes of government agencies. Examples include:
- government=presidency to indicate the seat or an official residence for the head of state.
- government=ministry to indicate the main seat of a ministry or department. Do not use this for all offices and services resorting under a ministry, i.e. do not use this tag for prisons or tax offices even if they fall under the Ministry of Justice and the Ministry of Finance, respectively.
- government=legislative to indicate the seat of a legislative parliament, senate, or national assemblee (some countries or states have bicameral systems distinguishing them but they are usually distinguished only by their name).
- government=prosecutor to indicate an office of a public prosecutor.
- government=tax to indicate a tax office.
- government=transportation to indicate a transportation office or a DMV in the United States.
- government=register_office to indicate a register office (office to register births, marriages and deaths, locations of migrants, sometimes also to register electors or to deliver some permissions). In many countries this function is a mandatory mission of local collectivities (usually municipalities) but some countries with large rural areas have register offices only at a higher level (county, province, prefecture...) with additional local offices in the most dense and populated cities (but not in every town or village) in which case you'll need this government tag. These offices may be also a service operated locally by the police, or by a local religious authority. In such cases it may not needed to tag these offices separately. The relevant country project page should give details about what is needed.
- admin_level=* to indicate the administrative level.