From OpenStreetMap Wiki
|amenity = watering_place|
|A place where water is contained and animals such as horses can drink.|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
There are two categories of places this tag applies to:
Natural bodies of water
- Water quality suitable for animals, so usually all flowing water that is not obviously polluted. It does not indicate a guaranteed water quality.
- Water is accessible for animals, e.g. low banks without steep incline or other obstacles, or a shallow water area where animals may wade in to drink.
Artificial water supplies
- fountains that also allow access to animals
- dedicated watering places like troughs, often found in the countryside for farm use or as decorations
- rain barrels and similar containers
Tags to use in combination
Use name=* if the watering place has a name
suggested by User:Chrisana13
- amenity=drinking_water - drinking place for humans. Tag dog=yes indicates a dog water bowl is available as well.
- amenity=fountain - a decorative water feature
Related terms: ‹ watering place ›