| historic = monument
|A memorial object, especially large and made of stone, built to remember, show respect to a person or group of people or to commemorate an event.|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
A memorial object, especially large (one can go inside, walk on or through it) and made of stone, built to remember, show respect to a person or group of people or to commemorate an event.
Monuments are often built in homage to past or present political / military leaders or religious figures / deities.
How to map
Tags to use in combination
- name=* - The name of the monument
- historic:civilization=* - The civilization (culture) that created the monument.
- heritage=* - If the building is recognized as being of historic value by an authority.
- If the building commemorates nothing then you should use another value of the historic=* (see "Historical objects") or use historic=yes.
- In many countries this tag is very disruptive because the words "historic" and "monument" are associated to designate a national heritage building. It's true for France, Morocco, Poland, Romania, Senegal, Spain and certainly other countries. This leads to errors : people use this tag to map heritage objects.
You can check the inappropriate use of "historic=monument" with the tool "CheckTheMonuments" and correct the errors if you have the knowledge about the objects.
Proposed_features/obelisk Proposal how to map obelisks
Related terms: <reminder> <tribute> <monument> <memento> <record> <statue>