|historic = monument|
|A memorial object, especially large and made of stone, built to remember, show respect to a person or group of people or to commemorate an event.|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
A memorial object, especially large (one can go inside, walk on or through it) and made of stone, built to remember, show respect to a person or group of people or to commemorate an event.
Monuments are often built in homage to past or present political / military leaders or religious figures / deities.
How to map
Tags to use in combination
- name=* - The name of the monument
- historic:civilization=* - The civilization (culture) that created the monument.
- heritage=* - If the building is recognized as being of historic value by an authority.
- If the building commemorates nothing then you should use another value of the historic=* (see "Historical objects") or use historic=yes.
- In many countries this tag is very disruptive because the words "historic" and "monument" are associated to designate a national heritage building. It's true for France, Morocco, Poland, Romania, Senegal, Spain and certainly other countries. This leads to errors : people use this tag to map heritage objects.
You can check the inappropriate use of "historic=monument" with the tool "CheckTheMonuments" and correct the errors if you have the knowledge about the objects.
Below some objects that are really "monuments" as described in OpenStreetMap. As the size is important the height is written (in meters).
Proposed_features/obelisk Proposal how to map obelisks