|natural = volcano|
|A volcano is an opening exposed on the earth's surface where volcanic material is emitted.|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
A volcano is an opening exposed on the earth's surface where volcanic material is emitted. All volcanoes contain a central vent underlying the summit crater of the volcano. Some volcanos may have more than one vent, fissures and fumeroles.
How to Map
Add the natural=volcano as a node . Place it as close to the centre of the main crater/caldera/vent as you can.
Name the volcano using name=* on the node.
Optionally you can also add other information:
- status=active, status=dormant, status=extinct - alternatively or perhaps preferably as volcano:status=*
- Classifying a volcano as active, dormant, or extinct is a subjective and inexact exercise. Active resembles currently erupting or exhibiting unrest through earthquakes, uplift, and/or new gas emissions. An inactive volcano is generally considered dormant if it has erupted in historic time. This definition, however, is rather ambiguous and not scientific, because recorded history varies from thousands of years in Europe and the Middle East, to only a few hundred years in other regions of the world, like the Pacific Northwest of the United States.
- type=stratovolcano, type=shield, type=scoria - alternatively or perhaps preferably as volcano:type=*
- These are the three main types of volcano. More information can be found here: http://www.geology.sdsu.edu/how_volcanoes_work/Volcano_types.html
- Tag the highest point of the volcano as a number in metres.
Note although many volcanoes are mountains and in many maps natural=volcano and natural=peak are rendered in a similar way the location of the main volcanic vent/crater is generally not identical to the highest peak so natural=volcano does not necessarily imply a mountain peak.
The crater rim can be tagged using
- natural=cliff or natural=ridge depending on the shape of the crater plus
- geological=volcanic_caldera_rim to indicate that it is a volcanic crater/caldera rim
natural=volcano name=Anak Krakatau alt_name=Krakatoa type=stratovolcano status=active ele=200
- natural=sinkhole - approved
- natural=crater - either bomb craters or crater rims, usage seems not well defined
- geological=volcanic* - various volcano related values are proposed
- historic=bomb_crater - undocumented
- historic=meteor_crater - undocumented
- natural=caldera - undocumented
- crater=* - undocumented