Talk:Overpass turbo/Extended Overpass Turbo Queries
Hi all, I can see that you can prepare a query in overpass turbo using a url such as http://overpass-turbo.eu/?w=pub+in+dublin Is it possible to then run and download the data provided by that query automatically ? thanks, Matt
- Yes, you can run the query immediately by appending &R to your query string: http://overpass-turbo.eu/?w=pub+in+dublin&R
- Regarding the download part, I wonder what your use case is. Can you elaborate a bit? Mmd (talk) 09:40, 15 November 2014 (UTC)
Hi there, I am creating an android application that I wish to be native and therefore plots on to google maps. However, the google maps api does now work in the way I wish. I am therefore using open street maps to parse data off of a map area that is relevant to the user ( based on their current location). To do this, I need to construct a query, run it and download the xml to their phone so that it can be parsed. I have all this working manually but need to automate it to be of any use. -Matt--Imattuk (talk) 11:54, 17 November 2014 (UTC)
- Hello Matt, in this case you should get familiar with the famous Overpass API instead of overpass-turbo, because the latter is just a kind of GUI for overpass-api.
- Read the documentation in the wiki about overpass-api intensively ... there are instructions how to form queries for almost all scenarios.
- Maybe there are even some more detailed hints at http://help.osm.org ... do a search there for "overpass"
- By the way: have you tried to display your results on an OSM based map instead of googlemaps? You can display OSM based maps either online vial tiles, or offline via pre-loaded vector data map files. Maybe see Osmdroid ... --Stephan75 (talk) 17:08, 18 November 2014 (UTC)