|Mapping Project United Kingdom|
|the wiki home of the United Kingdom on OSM|
Welcome to Mapping Project page for the United Kingdom!
This page contains information relating to mapping activity that is specific to the United Kingdom.
You may also wish to drill down to a more local level (starting with the links below) to describe/discuss the status of mapping progress on the wiki:
We aim to make top quality geo-data available as widely as possible. Contributors are therefore encouraged to get involved in any area that interests them, be that mapping footpaths or turn restrictions, or helping to develop the wiki documentation or system tools.
If you are however looking for some inspiration, consider the following goals:
- Mapping Priorities Larger places that could do with better mapping
- Secondary Mapping Priorities Places that could do with better mapping, population under 50,000. (Good mapping party targets!)
Find Out More
The following links provide information on map projects in the UK
- Road Network:
- Paths and Cycleways:
- Railways (and minor railways)
- Boundaries and Land Areas:
- Historic Britain Historic places in the British Isles.
- UK local councils How can they use OSM and feed back into it?
In addition to the world-wide data sources, the following are available specifically for mapping in the UK. Please note that their accuracy varies and therefore where possible we prefer ground-truthed data (e.g. collected by GPS survey)
- Ordnance Survey (Great Britain only)
Get In Touch
There are several ways to get in touch with the UK OpenStreetMap community. The easiest is through use of the GB mailing list (historic archive), however there is also the Openstreetmap forum for UK users.
Throughout the year, we hold informal meet-ups and mapping parties, and it is always good to see a new face. The Current Events list usually includes quite a few events which are happening in the U.K. You should also be able to find out about events on the wiki by drilling down to a very local level (starting with England/Northern Ireland/Scotland/Wales) however this relies on event organisers (or anyone) being pro-active with linking event descriptions from the relevant wiki pages (Current Events list generally better maintained)
Any upcoming.org event listings should be posted to the OpenStreetMap group.
Please respect the copyright of these sites:
- Great Britain road numbering scheme
- SABRE - The Society for all British And Irish Road Enthusiasts
- CBRD - Chris's British Road Directory
- Highways Agency - Design Manual for Roads and Bridges