- For detailed step-by-step introduction, see Beginners' guide.
- For other uses, see JOSM/Guide.
- For other uses, see How to contribute.
- For other uses, see Contribute map data.
|This page is being considered for cleanup. Please discuss this page.|
|This article or section may contain out-of-date information. The information is no longer correct, or no longer has relevance.
If you know about the current state of affairs, please help keep everyone informed by updating this information. (Discuss)
- OpenStreetMap for Beginners Part 1: Add points of interest (4:22) subtitles
- OpenStreetMap for Beginners Part 2: Trace roads and areas (3.32) subtitles
Humanitarian OSM Team/LearnOSM videos to accompany the website text
- Getting started - OSM website basics
- Getting started 2 - Sign up and make your first edit (Potlatch 2)
- Getting started with JOSM - Install and set-up
Concepts for beginners
By emacsen - A series of videos for the new OSM contributor covers general concepts from nodes to changests and rendering.
- Nodes and Tags
- Closed Ways and Object IDs
- Splitting Ways
- Addressing (Part 1)
- Addressing (Part 2)
- Tags in Depth
- Object Metadata
- Rendering Overview
Tutorials or sets of tutorials by specific people
- Series by Steve Coast
See the series
- "OpenStreetMap introduction" by Steve Coast - 17:34 - Introduction to the website and related resources
- Potlatch Introduction - An introduction to the openstreetmap.org online Flash-based editor, Potlatch1
- How to remove duplicate nodes - Using the duplicate nodes map and editing in Potlatch
- Keepright - Using Keepright to find bus and fix them in Potlatch
- GPSBabel - How to use GPSBabel on a mac to get data off of your GPS and in to GPX. Some applicability to windows users also as it's a similar interface.
- JOSM basic introduction - A basic introduction to JOSM - the Java OpenStreetMap editor
- Editing in JOSM - How to edit data in JOSM
- Photos in JOSM - How to pull in photos of street signs etc into JOSM (now a bit out of date)
- Russ Nelson on JOSM
Series of short JOSM tutorials by Russell Nelson:
- Your first edit ever
- Your second edit ever
- Adding house numbers
- Merging two ways into one
- Merging two ways into one using keyboard shortcuts
- Fixing an Interstate junction
- Saving and reloading
- Humanitarian mapping tutorials
(These often apply just as well to normal mapping)
- Humanitarian Mapping - Tracing Roads in Japan Using JOSM by User:Davespod
- Pakistan flood mapping with Potlatch 1 - by CrisisCampSydney
- http://imaphaiti.com/ - Introductory videos showing Potlatch. Relates to Haiti disaster mapping. By User:Wonderchook
- OSM Tutorial - Using the Keyboard to Save Presets in Potlatch by Margie Rosswell 00:55
- How to Load a Haiti Basemap onto a Garmin GPS Receiver by Margie Rosswell 02:16
- Todd Huffman
OpenStreetMap, from the Kabul Airport to Jalalabad - Quick real-world mapping example using Android apps for viewing and tracing.
- Kevin Steinhardt
- Basic tracing, from 7th Series - Using Potlatch and thoughtful explanation of tracing from 7th Series out-of-copyright maps (UK)
- Loch Calium - Using JOSM to trace a Scottish loch from 7th Series
osm in less than 5 - series of basic tutorials for JOSM and Potlatch
JOSM video collection
- Some JOSM videos as part of the Steve Coast's video series:
- Series of short JOSM tutorials by Russell Nelson:
- JOSM WMS Plugin
- Potlatch introduction
- Potlatch turn restrictions
- Import your printed maps into OSM via JOSM with Piclayer plugin DE
- CityEngine Import How to import OSM Data to the CityEngine generator
- OSM Mapper - How to use ITO OSM Mapper reporting tool
- OSM->Garmin - explaining Mkgmap to get [[Garmin] datas
In Other languages
Other video tutorials have been created in other languages. See the language bar at the top
See Video tutorial development for inspiration and coordination around creating video tutorials.
Feel free to link more tutorial videos from this page. Videos should be tagged 'osm' and 'openstreetmap' to maximise find-ability on youtube/vimeo