Adding Canadian Aboriginal Boundaries
There are 3 levels of administrative grouping for First Nation.
- Tribal Council: contains multiple First Nations groups. Not all First Nations are part of a tribal council. Since they mostly operate within provinces, it makes sense to give them
- First Nation: The basic administrative unit. They typically have a population somewhere between a few hundred and a few thousand. They get
- Indian Reserve: a parcel of land that is owned/used by a First Nation. Some reserves are shared by multiple First Nation groups. They get
Importing Indian Reserve data
- Find which First Nations groups use which reserves on the government's First Nation Profiles webpage.
- Download the relevant shapefiles from NRCan
- Import them into JOSM (you'll need the OpenData plugin)
- Fix up the tagging, and set up the administrative boundaries.