Akademy 2008 Mapping Party
There's still a lot of mapping to do round the area where KDE's Akademy 2008 takes place. Therefore the idea came up to do some mapping party for Sint-Katelijne-Waver.
Sint-Katelijne-Waver (and villages around?)
Wednesday 13:00, meet at entrance to conference building
- Sven423 (has own gps receiver, needs bike)
- Eckhart (has own gps receiver and bike)
- glasseyes (has own gps, has bike)
- Bille (has own gps receiver, needs bike)
- User:Jriddell (has gps, has bike, needs camera)
- User:ThorstenStaerk (has gps, car, and a date @ 1400 CEST)
Some users brought their GPS devices with them, the Nokia N810 also features GPS - we have to check quality though.
- The Belgian OSM community has six GPS data loggers which could be borrowed. Someone needs to pick those up from Leuven though. --Eimai 17:12, 10 August 2008 (UTC)
- The area is also covered by Yahoo satellite images, so GPS isn't really needed, but you can't go too far east then, the satellite images border is about 5km east from the center of the village of Sint-Katelijne-Waver, or 8km from the conference location. --Eimai 17:12, 10 August 2008 (UTC)
- Actually, if you stay south of Sint-Katelijne-Waver you can go much further east... --Eimai 17:25, 10 August 2008 (UTC)
See Creating_a_track_with_Maemo-mapper and User:Onion/Mapper. If people have bluetooth headsets they'd be useful for recording audio. Some MP3 players can also be used for this, see Audio_mapping. I know the N810 has been used by some people before for mapping.
- Doh, audio mapping isn't going to be too helpful here unless your Flemish pronouciation is good enough for you to transcribe it correctly late ;)
- What I do with voice recording is spelling it like "kilo lima oscar mike", works far better (since even if your Flemish is well enough, there will always be ambiguities in spelling) --Eimai 17:50, 12 August 2008 (UTC)
We'd probably need some bikes; are people willing to give their bikes to participants during mapping party time?
Should there be a short introduction about how to map in Belgium? I understand that many are from abroad so it may help... I'm mainly talking about rules on how street names are written (you always attach the "straat" to the name itself, even if the sign displays it in two words) for example. Or introducing cycle routes for example if people are interested in that. --Eimai 19:00, 11 August 2008 (UTC)
For folks with the N810 - make sure you install the gpscamera app - you can take photos with it and they will be geotagged too. glasseyes 12 Aug
- That is if you are actually able to use the GPS from the N810, I still haven't achieved to get a lock with it... --Eimai 17:50, 12 August 2008 (UTC)