Austin Halloween mapping party 2010
There will be a special Halloween mapping party on October 31, 2010 in Austin. The mapping party will be earlier in the day, starting at 10am (tentative, is this too early?) and meeting at Halcyon Coffee, 218 W 4th St  (location tentative).
It's possible we can schedule the "mapping party" instead for Saturday, October 30 in the afternoon, in conjunction with ThatCamp which I am attending. If that works, we would meet at the Sheraton Austin at The Capitol. (3:30 - 5pm)
Feedback on which day/time people prefer would be very helpful.
How it works?
Depending on the number of mappers, we may stick together as one group and walk around to do mapping, with use of walking papers, a notebook, GPS (optional), or other tools (e.g. Mapzen POI Collector iPhone app). If enough people, we can split up the target mapping area into "cake pieces".
What to map?
We are interested in collecting locations and details on places in the neighborhood, including:
- Shops - name? what kind of shop? (e.g. convenience, clothes, ...)
- Restaurants, cafe, fast food
- Pubs, bars, nightclubs
- Banks, Hairdresser shops (salons, barber), other shops & services
- Parking garages, parking lots
- Buildings - name, address, use (apartments or what)?
- Parks, walking paths
- Monuments, statues, sculptures
- Museums, galleries, historic sites, ...
- Traffic signals, crosswalks, ...
- Bike racks, rentals, bike paths, lanes, ...
- If you really want, you can map things like benches, trash cans, ...
- Anything else you think is interesting.
Just about anything is notable and can be included.
Signup here and/or on the Austin OpenStreetMappers meetup group page.