Import building and address data for the city of Bothell, WA
- Planning: Spring 2018 In Progress
- Import: Spring/Summer 2018
- QA: Summer/Fall 2018
Data source site: 
Data license: The City makes no representation or warranty that the GIS data provided by this FTP site is accurate, true or correct. In using the data, it’s understood and agreed the information provided may be subject to error. GIS Data produced by the City of Bothell is intended for internal purposes only. The Data is made available on an "as is" condition with no representation or guarantee made concerning the accuracy, currency, or completeness of the information provided.
This will be a one time import.
JOSM will be used to upload data in 153 parts, data will be split by voting district and uploaded under the user bothell_wa_import.
Data Reduction & Simplification
Data that is already in OSM will not be overwritten unless it's clear that the OSM data is outdated. This should only be an issue in retail/commercial areas as residential areas are unmapped. Kirkland Addresses will be removed since they have been previously imported.
Buildings to building = yes unless building type is provided in which case it will be translated to appropriate building tag.
Address attributes of housenumber, street, city and zip for all addresses. Unit will be added where applicable.
See ogr2osm translation files for details.
Edits will be marked with source = Bothell WA GIS
- Data source files are .shp and will be pulled into postgres db using sql scripts called from bash script
- Address conflation done using sql scripts on postgres with postgis
- Data output from postgres db to shp using pgsql2shp called from bash script that outputs data into many files corresponding to voting district
- shp files converted and tags translated to OSM xml using ogr2osm and corresponding translation files for buildings and addresses
Scripts in scripts folder of import repository
Data Transformation Results
OSM xml files in osm folder of import repository
Data Merge Workflow
Data will be checked using the following:
- Local Knowledge
- Mapbox Satellite View
- Existing OSM Data
- Transform data from .shp to .pg
- Conflate address with buildings, address expansion using sql
- Transform data from .pg to many .shp files corresponding to voting districts
- Transform data from .shp to OSM xml
- Load single OSM xml file into JOSM
- Check sat view and existing data to ensure data is reasonable
- Commit changes and update tasking manager
- Repeat steps 5, 6 and 7 with next OSM xml file
- Second QA pass using data downloaded from OSM, preferably by different person and update tasking manager
Buildings with one address will have address added to building. Buildings with multiple addresses will not be combined. This will be done using sql using some functions from postgis.
Checking existing OSM data aginst import data might be done using sql using some function from postgis.
HOT tasking manager will be used to keep track of which areas have been checked. Data will be checked for:
- overlapping buildings
- out of date buildings
- redundant addresses