- 1 Goals
- 2 Schedule
- 3 Import Data
- 4 Data Preparation
- 5 Data Merge Workflow
- 6 QA
Import building and address data for the city of Bothell, WA
- Planning: Spring 2018
- Import: Spring-Winter 2018
- Data Translation
- Announce Import In Progress
- Data Import
- QA: Winter 2018
Data source site: 
Data license: The City makes no representation or warranty that the GIS data provided by this FTP site is accurate, true or correct. In using the data, it’s understood and agreed the information provided may be subject to error. GIS Data produced by the City of Bothell is intended for internal purposes only. The Data is made available on an "as is" condition with no representation or guarantee made concerning the accuracy, currency, or completeness of the information provided.
This will be a one time import.
Data will be split by voting district and uploaded in chunks under the user patricknoll_import.
Data Reduction & Simplification
Data that is already in OSM will not be overwritten unless it's clear that the OSM data is outdated. This should only be an issue in retail/commercial areas as residential areas are unmapped. Kirkland Addresses will be removed since they have been previously imported.
Translate all information provided by city to appropriate OSM tags for buildings.
Address attributes of housenumber, street, city and zip for all addresses. Unit will be added where applicable.
See ogr2osm translation files for details.
Edits will be marked with source = Bothell WA GIS
- Data source files are .shp and will be pulled into postgres db using sql scripts called from bash script
- Address conflation done using sql scripts on postgres with postgis
- Data output from postgres db to shp using pgsql2shp called from bash script that outputs data into many files corresponding to voting district
- shp files converted and tags translated to OSM xml using ogr2osm and corresponding translation files for buildings and addresses
Scripts in scripts folder of import repository
Data Transformation Results
OSM xml files in /scripts/osm folder of import repository
Data Merge Workflow
Data will be checked using the following:
- Local Knowledge
- Bing Sat view/Mapbox Satellite View
- Existing OSM Data
- Transform data using scripts in code repository
- Load single OSM xml file into JOSM
- Check sat view and existing data to ensure data is reasonable
- Commit changes
- Repeat steps 1, 2 and 3 with next OSM xml file
- Second QA pass using data downloaded from OSM
Buildings with one address will have address added to building. Buildings with multiple addresses will not be combined. This will be done using scripts before the actual import starts.
Data will be checked for:
- overlapping buildings
- out of date buildings
- redundant addresses