Como foss4ge 2015
|latitudine: 45.8097, longitudine: 9.0803|
|Consulta la mappa di Como 45°48′34.92″ N, 9°04′49.08″ E|
|Modifica la mappa|
|Utilizza questo modello per la tua città|
Como è una grande città in Italy, alla latitudine 45°48′34.92″ nord e longitudine 9°04′49.08″ est.
This is a special Wiki page which provides information on an OpenStreetMap Mapping Party which shall be held during the FOSS4G Europe 2015 conference taking place at the Politecnico di Milano - Como Campus on July 14-17, 2015. There are a number of different types of mapping parties happening at FOSS4G Europe 2015 and specific committees have been formed to handle the organization of these mapping parties (see here). This page will focus specifically on the OpenStreetMap mapping party.
Read More about OpenStreetMap Mapping parties
Summary Details about this OpenStreetMap Mapping Party
- When: Wednesday July 15th, 16:30 - 20:00
- Where: Politecnico di Milano - Como Campus, Via Valleggio 11, Como 22100
- Contact Information
- Event schedule:
- We have approximately 3.5 hours available for the mapping party. At 20:00 some of the mapping party participants may need to depart and attend an Ice-Breaker function associated with the FOSS4G Europe 2015 conference. Our plan is to use our available time in the most efficient way possible. We also want to ensure that participants enjoy the mapping party experience so we want to ensure that our schedule is flexible to accommodate changes.
- Meet outside the Politecnico di Milano campus (precise location will be announced on this Wiki page and during the FOSS4G Europe 2015 morning session on Wednesday 15th July) Location on OpenStreetMap.
- The mapping party leaders and organisers will give some information on their experience of mapping in OpenStreetMap. They will also provide some introductory tips on how to get started.
- The mapping party leaders and organisers will then divide the assembled mapping party into smaller groups and allocated mapping areas to focus on for that group. It will be clearly explained to each group what data and information they are being asked to collect.
- The idea is to reach the destination (Cube Como Cafe See Location on OpenStreetMap) at about 19:00. The Cafe has WiFi Internet access. During the time 19:00 to 20:00 the group leaders and mapping party leaders will demonstrate how the collected data and information can be uploaded to OpenStreetMap.
- At this point the emphasis is on interaction and collaboration as the groups work with each other to upload the data.
- Please be assured that all data and information collected during the Mapping Party will be uploaded to OpenStreetMap quickly after the event. Together we shall all improve the OpenStreetMap of Como.
- We shall present a short summary of the mapping party to the delegates at the FOSS4G 2015 conference on Friday 17th July 2015. This presentation will be available as open access.
- But please remember .... the most important aspect of this Mapping Party is that the participants learn about OpenStreetMap and how to map for OpenStreetMap in a fun, relaxed and open environment.
- If you own a GPS, a GPS-equipped smart phone, and/or a laptop computer, please bring it along. If not, we will provide you with the devices and tools you'll need to map. We shall be using Field Papers as our principal tool. You won't need any experience using Field Papers - we'll show you exactly what you need.
- We'll be taking some photographs of the mapping party in action and we shall share these photographs openly on Flickr or similar. Please let us know in advance if you are uncomfortable about this for any reason and we won't take your photograph.
- Weather: This event shall go ahead rain or shine. We recommend that participants check with the local weather forecast during Wednesday 15th July 2015 to determine if rain jackets or similar is required. We do recommend that you wear a comfortable pair of walking sandals, walking shoes or trainers as it is likely that you will walk two or three kilometers during the mapping party. The pace of walking will be nice and slow.
Mapping Party Venue Location
This Mapping Party will be held at the Politecnico di Milano - Como Campus, Via Valleggio 11, 22100 Como, Italy. It is planned that the mapping party will gather here and then move in a northerly direction in Como and finish at the Cube Cafe Como at Via Fratelli Rosselli 10 - Como - 22100 - Como, Italy.
- START: Location on OpenStreetMap
Mapping Party Objectives
As we have mentioned in this page the real objective of this Mapping Party is to introduce people to an OpenStreetMap mapping party, collect some data and information which is useful to OpenStreetMap, have some fun mapping and enjoy the city of Como. More specifically the mapping party has the objectives of:
- Adding more points-of-interest to the Como city map as well as addressing areas in the city that still need mapping.
- Recording useful attribute information about tourism elements such as hotels, restaurants, monuments, etc. and daily life features (house numbers, recycling containers, transport elements, etc.).
- Instill and foster an interest in OpenStreetMap among those mapping party participants who are new to OpenStreetMap. Hopefully they will like the project so much that they will do some mapping for OpenStreetMap in the future.
- Teach, demonstrate and discuss the best ways to collect and record geographic information for OpenStreetMap and how this data and information is then uploaded and inserted into the OpenStreetMap database.
Mapping Party Data Upload Session
The fun, learning and collaboration does not end at the end of the Mapping Party. On Thursday 16th July at 13:00 - 14:00 we will have a special 'Birds of a Feather' OpenStreetMap Mapping Party Data Upload and Editing Session in Room V08 in the FOSS4G 2015 Europe venue in Politecnico di Milano - Como Campus. Birds of a Feather (BoF) sessions are unstructured timeslots where people can self-organise themselves to discuss topics of interest. You can read more about other BoF sessions at FOSS4G 2015.
As this is an extension of our OpenStreetMap mapping party you do not need to be registered in the FOSS4G conference to take part in this BoF session.
Why should you come along to this BoF? There are lots of great reasons for you to join us on Thursday 16th July. These include:
- See how the data and information we collected in the mapping party is organised and uploaded to OpenStreetMap
- See, before your very eyes, how this data and information almost immediately makes the OpenStreetMap map of Como city better and improved!
- Learn how to upload the data and information to OpenStreetMap
- Ask questions about mapping, data and information collection and upload to OpenStreetMap
- Learn about OpenStreetMap in a fun, relaxed and collaborative environment.
Our BoF is scheduled for one hour. However there is flexibility here and depending on progress/interest there might be scope to continue on after this time. We shall have to ensure that we have access to an appropriate room/space to continue the BoF after our time slot.
Who will be attending the Mapping Party?
This mapping party will be held in conjunction with FOSS4G Europe 2015 conference. We expect a good interest from delegates to the conference in this mapping party. However, in the true spirit of OSM mapping parties, ANYONE can participate - you do not need to be a contributor to OpenStreetMap nor do you need to be registered for the FOSS4G Europe 2015 conference which is happening at the same time. So if you are in the Como area (or close by) why not join us?
We are maintaining a list of people who are going to attend. If you have an account on this Wiki please add your name here:
- Marco Minghini (User:Mingo23)
- Peter Mooney (User:Petermooney)
- Luca Delucchi (User:lucadelu)
- Cesare Gerbino(User:cesaregerbino)
- Astrid Emde(User:Astrid Emde)
- Kalogeropoulou Panagiota-Alexandra (User:Kalogeropoulou_P.A.)
- Irene Chrysafis (User:Irene. Chrysafis.)
- Sara Mura
- Valentina Cerutti
- Petra Malisan
Mapping Party Suggestions
While the organisers have some great plans for this mapping party please feel free to suggest locations and goals for this mapping event (as well as suggestions for future events). This is YOUR mapping party.