Garmin map of Iceland
THIS INFORMATION IS NOT VALID ANYMORE.
unluckely the maintainence stops.
- Default - The default mkgmap rendering (see screenshot) you probably want to get this
- Default - MapSource - A MapSource installer for the default map. get this if you use Microsoft Windows and MapSource
- Cycle map - A cycling map (just like the UK one)
- All - The default map and the cycle map.
What files do I get?
Each directory (default, cyclemap, all) has both a file with a name like
13314531.img and a file named
If you're using Microsoft Windows and use Garmin's MapSource to manage your maps you should get the MapSource installer. Once MapSource recognizes the map you can upload it to your GPS from there. See Garmin Mapsource installer for further info on the MapSource installer.
gmapsupp.img file is the only one your Garmin device reads. It's an archive which can contain more than one map, the default/gmapsupp.img archive contains the default map which is probably the one you want.
You could also get cyclemap/gmapsupp.img which contains the cyclemap or all/gmapsupp.img which contains both the default and the cycle map. But if you have both loaded on one device finding points of interest can be confusing as you'll have two copies of each POI in each find menu; or one from each map.
- Iceland.osm - A local copy of the OSM file used to produce the map.
- VERSION.txt - The software versions used to generate the maps
How do I install the
.img file on my device?
Iceland OSM and Garmin in German: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:MacPod
- OSM Map On Garmin - OSM maps on Garmin devices
- OSM Map On Garmin/Download - Download pre-made maps of other areas than Iceland
- Mkgmap - The software used to convert the
.osmfile to the
- Garmin Mapsource installer - The MapSource installation tool this package uses
- http://osm.nix.is/latest - The latest release - You only need the
- http://osm.nix.is - Main site with historical archives
- git://git.nix.is/avar/OSM-Iceland-mkgmap - The program that generates the map using mkgmap (Gitweb)
- http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/europe/iceland.osm.bz2 - The source OSM file used to generate the map (bbox)
- Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason maintains this map export