Humanitarian OSM Team/Meetings/TrainingWG/2019-05-27

From OpenStreetMap Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Minutes of meeting of the Training Working Group of the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team

Meeting commenced at 17:30 UTC Monday 27th May 2019 using the Mumble server.


Geoffrey Kateregga, Greg Rose, Matthias Funke, Michael Heißmeier, Ralph Aytoun & Russell Deffner


Trello board for Agenda:


The next webinar on Advanced JOSM is due next Saturday. Russell will act as host and provide some introductory slides introducing the presenters. He will make sure that Geoffrey has the credentials to start the zoom session too.

Ralph will start a series for validator training which will consist of two parts, a general introduction and a live demonstration of editing and validating in order to show typical scenarios a validator will encounter.


Michael and Nick finished cleaning the LearnOSM repository from all pre-fabricated odt and pdf documents and links pointing to these documents. Readers who want a printable layout of a guide can use their browser's print function as a new stylesheet produces nearly the same result as our previous semi-automatic process.

Michael will get the guide on iD up to date which will require some new screenshots. Most notable editorial change will be the new built-in validator. As had been pointed out earlier our chapter on mobile mapping will need a substantial update to current versions of the applications (and a search for other applications in use in this field). A Trello card for this has been added to the board.

Further upcoming changes to be monitored: DigitalGlobe has been acquired by Maxar and is renaming its products accordingly; a new release of the Tasking Manager is currently being rolled out.

Other business

A discussion on validation tools and techniques came up which focussed around "how to find out who is mapping in a specific area". Two tools are known to the author of these minutes: OSMCHA and WhoDidIt. Both work on a specified geographic area and OSMCHA offers a rich set of other filters. It also flags suspicious changesets such as mass edits or the use of certain keywords.

Two new members appeared at this meeting, welcome Greg and Matthias!

Most recent previous minutes


older minutes are accessible from our working group page

Date of Next Meeting

10th June 2019, 17:30 UTC