- 1 Indoor activities related to OSM
- 2 Indoor activities outside OSM
- 3 Not ordered yet
Indoor activities outside OSM
Different activities by companies or other communities for indoors
AAU Campus GIS Indoor routing
The Alpen Adria University Klagenfurt provides indoor routing on campus. Students, guests, employees can use the indoor maps API to route to any room on campus. iDoors are also used to help indoor navigation. The idoors are located in front of all large lecture rooms with an interactive map showing where you are located. The entire project is build on open source software. Geosever, Postgresql, PostGIS, pgRouting, Geowebcache, OSM, Openlayers.
- http://www.gomogi.com Software Developement and Project lead
Anyplace is a free and open indoor information service with superb accuracy. It provides a native Android, Windows Phone and iOS version but also a programmable and open API in JSON. Buildings are quickly mapped using a Web-based Architect tool. A navigator combines Wi-Fi, Cellular, GPS along with Magnetic field and Inertial Measurement Units to provide world-class localization accuracy both indoors and outdoors. The system supports crowdsourcing of location signals by contributors.
Bing is also working on Indoor Mapping. Their product or project is called Bing Venue Maps. Currently, the product features nearly 150 different shopping malls in several states of the US. Contrary to the other products of Google or Navteq, Bing provides the maps via an online map platform, thus it is possible to consume them from home.
More information (including demos):
contagt is a commercial indoor navigation platform. The platform contains native apps for Android and iOS, a web interface, SDKs, and a REST API. contagt supports localization via bluetooth beacons, WiFi, GPS, sensor fusion, and QR/NFC markers. Indoor maps are provided as downloadable guides which can be managed by a web-based backend. Guides include access restriction options and features can be extended by plugins.
More information (including app downloads):
The École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne offers an online map service for their campus. Thereby users can investigate their surroundings as well as the interior of buildings. Route calculation inside or between buildings is also possible. Furthermore there is a dedicated mobile version for cell phones and smart phones available. Unfortunately, there is not much more detailed information available (where comes the data from, how is the routing performed etc.)
Google has extended their Google Maps application for Android Smartphones and Tablets with Indoor Environments. A couple of signature shopping malls and airports in the US and Japan are available and provide Maps of different floors as well as POI information.
More information including some screenshots and demos:
NAVTEQ presents an application called Destination Maps. It currently contains about 200 shopping mall footprints and allows navigation as well as POI search inside a mall. The data is captured by NAVTEQ themselves.
More information and some demos/videos are available here:
Nokia is also working on Indoor Navigation, but they are focussing more on the positioning techniques
For more information: http://micello.com
Nextome is an accurate indoor positioning and navigation system that allows users to locate with a sub-meter accuracy, and access services associated with their location. Use existing iBeacons infrastructure.
For more information: http://nextome.org
Vienna University of Economics and Business Administration Indoor routing and maps
Sensopia provides an Apple iOS application called Magic Plan for creating floorplans via the integrated camera.
Not ordered yet
display/render indoor maps
- Bing indoor maps for malls
- Google Indoor Maps
- http://www.micello.com/places - Map index for indoor map locations, from which maps can be accesssed.
- Indoor mapping with a kinect
- University of Stuttgart Reconstruction of building interiors using photographed evacuation plans
- CrowdInside Crowdsourcing-based automatic construction of indoor floorplans project at Egypt-Japan University of Science and Technology (E-JUST)
- DLR Indoor Navigation Getting location via acceleration sensors. Nice Videos
- Nextome - Indoor Navigation System is an accurate indoor positioning and navigation system. Use existing iBeacons infrastructure.
- IPS A Ubiquitous Indoor Positioning System research project at Egypt-Japan University of Science and Technology.
- PyLayers A Versatile Python Indoor Propagation Simulator for Mobile Localization using .osm format for handling indoor plans. Project based at Unviversity of Rennes 1 (IETR CNRS France)
- Absysseo. This french start-up located in Sophia-Antipolis, France provides a complete development kit allowing mobile developer to create LBS Indoor applications. This kit is composed of a Map Studio (map creation) running on PC and of a SW library(runtime) providing advanced cartography services and LBS functions. Available for several mobiles platforms (iPhone, Android, .Net C#, Java J2SE, Java J2ME), the client solution (runtime) is interfaceable with any indoor geopostioning solution. The map format is proprietary ; the solution ships with an SDK : the SmartIndoorTM Development Kit. Absysseo provides also news, information on the indoor location technology and indoor LBS usage on the blog 
- Micello Video
- Nextome is an accurate indoor positioning and navigation system that allows users to locate with a sub-meter accuracy, and access services associated with their location. Use existing iBeacons infrastructure.
- Senionlab providing an iOS and Android library for navigation and positioning based on the sensors available on the mobile device (GPS, Wifi, three-axis gyro, accelerometer, digital-compass).
not clearly attributable/misc
- JA.net Investigations in Location Awareness see Capter B2. Interactive Maps mentioning Openstreetmap use for indoor mapping on a university campus.
- Open Floor Plan Display. (at Carnegie Mellon University) present at the Indoor Location and Floor Plan Standards forum(announcement) => end of forum page. A new indoor file format named IndoorML is introduced there.
- Ways4All (German) Research project to design an overall system for barrier-free indoor and outdoor navigation, including the communication with public transportation and public infrastructure, but no software available. News article
- IndoorWPS A WiFi-based, Crowd-Sourced Indoor Positioning System Development wiki
- NavCMU An open-source androit application for indoor navigation on the Carnegie Mellon’s campus
-  Google Streetview inside a comic store
- CityGML very complex but standardised data model for land surveyors on top of gml/xml CityGML is a common information model for the representation of 3D urban objects. It defines the classes and relations for the most relevant topographic objects in cities and regional models with respect to their geometrical, topological, semantical and appearance properties. Included are generalization hierarchies between thematic classes, aggregations, relations between objects, and spatial properties. These thematic information go beyond graphic exchange formats and allow to employ virtual 3D city models for sophisticated analysis tasks in different application domains like simulations, urban data mining, facility management, and thematic inquiries.
- IFC building data model for architects and civil engineers
- IndoorGML This standard specifies an open data model and XML schema for indoor spatial information. IndoorGML is an application schema of OGC® GML 3.2.1. While there are several 3D building modelling standards such as CityGML, KML, and IFC, which deal with interior space of buildings from geometric, cartographic, and semantic viewpoints, IndoorGML intentionally focuses on modelling indoor spaces for navigation purposes.
Projects comparison table
|Name||Description||Being worked since||Video||OS/Development language||Licensing||Indoor map data format||Supported geopositioning technologies|
|Geopard||end-of-studies project being developed by IT engineering students||2008?||Video||Server: Linux+OSM(C,Java,BASH); Client: Android+J2MEOpenLayers; Editor:JOSM(Java)||GPL||.osm with indoor-specific "features"||Wifi, GPS (no Wifi-GPS transition implemented)|
|FootPath||infrastructureless indoor navigation on OSM data for smart phones||2010||Video||Client: Android; Editor: JOSM||GPL||.osm with indoor features||PDR (with sequence alignment)|
|Autonomie/Venturi||2010||Navigation demonstration||Server: Apache Sling JCR; Client: iOS+Android; Editor: JOSM||-||.osm with indoor features||PDR, Wifi, GPS|