|A name in Punjabi in Gurmukhi script, as it is written in India.
|Used on these elements
|Status: de facto
|Tools for this tag
Punjabi can be written using two scripts, Gurmukhi, which is primarily used in India, and Shahmukhi, which is primary used in Pakistan. There is no difference in these two languages between the two countries other than the scripts, but the use of two separate language codes has continued to be the most practiced approach due to a lack of support from existing standards and software. See name:pnb=* for details related to Punjabi names in Pakistan and the Shahmukhi script.
Note that this tag is useful when object has names specified in more than one language:
- If name=* is in Punjabi then it specifies which language is used in main name tag
- If name=* is in a different language then it specifies name in Punjabi
Maps in Punjabi
- Wikimedia Maps (wikimedia.org)
- Wikimedia Maps (toolforge.org)
- OpenStreetMap Americana
- Indic OpenstreetMap – customizable vector world map in 13 Indic languages
Bilingual English and Punjabi (Gurmukhi) sign at Southall railway station in the London, UK
Trilingual sign in Punjabi (Gurmukhi), Hindi, and English at Fazilka Junction railway station in India
Gurmukhi signage at a gurdwara in Jalalabad, Afghanistan