Mapathon/US Winter Mapathon 2016
The Winter 2016 OSM US Mapathon events will take place in the weekend of March 4-5.
|City||Dates and Times||Venue||Contact||Event link|
|Salt Lake City||March 5, 1-5pm||TBA||Martijn van Exel||Meetup|
|Seattle area||March 8||TBA||Clifford Snow||Meetup|
|New York City||March 8||TBA||Alyssa Wright||SPLASH!|
|Washington, DC||March 8||American Red Cross||Drishtie Patel||EventBrite|
|Williamsburg, Virginia||March 5th, 11am||Aid Data||Jonah Adkins / Alex Kappel||Meetup|
Hosting your own Mapathon
Just do it! Anyone can host a Mapathon. All you need is a space with wifi and places for folks to sit down and map! If you need help, please email email@example.com and we will get you going. We have a small fund you can tap into to help cover food / drink costs for you event too.
- We have a Slack channel for all organizers of local events! Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to join.
- The rule is simple: anything you commit to OpenStreetMap, should contain the hashtag #mapathon in the comment.
- Use MapRoulette or the Battle Grid to jump start editing!
- Make use of the Strava running and cycling tile layers to help map large trail networks.
- Your event can be an outside surveying event or an inside editing event.
- Design your event friendly to newcomers, make sure there's someone there to explain to first timers the fundamentals of OpenStreetMap and show them the first steps of editing and surveying.
- The location should have fast internet and a place to sit for everyone. Remind attendees to bring a computer, mouse, and any other devices you'll need for your event.
- Collect name and email from attendees, keep them to yourself. This information is to send on a feedback survey and only for survey purposes.