Imports and automated edits should only be carried out by those with experience and understanding of the way the OpenStreetMap community creates maps, and only with careful planning and consultation with the local community.|
See Import/Guidelines and Automated Edits code of conduct for more information. Imports/automated edits which do not follow these guidelines might be reverted!
This import is for adding buildings and addresses in Marysville, WA started on August 7th, 2020 and completed on September 9th, 2020.
This page is intended to document plans for an upcoming import of data from the city of Marysville, Washington. The data is provided by Snohomish County and is in the public domain.
The import started on August 7, 2020.
The goal of this effort is to improve the quality and detail of addresses and buildings in Marysville, WA. Additional the City of Marysville plans to use OSM basemaps in some of their apps.
- Community Interest: Invite local community members to be involved with the import
- Import: Import Marysville, WA buildings outlines and address points with new and existing local community members
- QA: post-import
Marysville provided its information as shapefile in Washington State Plane North. The data is considered to be in the public domain according to Washington State RCWs. additional the City of Marysville has no restrictions on its use in OSM.
This is an OSM Washington community-based, one-time import.
There are currently no plans to script or automate this import.
No source tags will be added.
Tag in import-related changesets:
The source files will need to be converted to OSM XML. Code is available on Marysville Scripts and Data
The Counties address database includes the building type. The following county building types will be converted to appropriate OSM tags.
Data Transformation Results
Output OSM XML files can be reviewed here:
|110 Senior Citizen Exemption Residual||residential|
|111 Single Family Residence - Detached||house|
|112 2 Single Family Residences||house|
|113 3 Single Family Residences||house|
|114 4 Single Family Residences||house|
|116 Common Wall Single Family Residence||house|
|117 Manufactured Home (Leased Site)||manufactured|
|118 Manufactured Home (Owned Site)||manufactured|
|119 Manufactured Home (Mobile Home Park)||static_caravan|
|121 Two Family Residence convrtd from SFR (Duplex)||semidetached_house|
|122 Two Family Residence (Duplex)||semidetached_house|
|123 Three Family Residence (Tri-Plex)||apartments|
|124 Four Family Residence (Four Plex)||apartments|
|130 Multiple Family 5 - 7 Units||apartments|
|131 Multiple Family 8 - 11 Units||apartments|
|132 Multiple Family 12 - 15 Units||apartments|
|133 Multiple Family 16 - 20 Units||apartments|
|134 Multiple Family 21 - 30 Units||apartments|
|135 Multiple Family 31 - 50 Units||apartments|
|136 Multiple Family 51 - 100 Units||apartments|
|137 Multiple Family 101 - 200 Units||apartments|
|138 Multiple Family 201 - 300 Units||apartments|
|139 Multiple Family 301 Units or More||apartments|
|141 Single Family Residence Condominium Detached||house|
|142 Single Family Residence Condominium Common Wall||apartments|
|143 Single Family Residence Condominium Multiple||apartments|
|144 Single Family Residence Condominium Project||apartments|
|145 Condominium Conversion||apartments|
|153 Mobile Home Park 61 - 100 Units||static_caravan|
|154 Mobile Home Park 101 - 200 Units||static_caravan|
|155 Mobile Home Park 201 - 300 Units||static_caravan|
|160 Hotel / Motel 1 - 25 Units||motel|
|161 Hotel / Motel 26 - 50 Units||motel|
|162 Hotel / Motel 51 - 75 Units||motel|
|163 Hotel / Motel 76 - 100 Units||motel|
|174 Retirement Home / Orphanages||yes|
|179 Other Group Quarters||yes|
|183 Non Residential Structure||yes|
|184 Septic System||yes|
|188 SFR Converted to Group Home||yes|
|189 Other Residential||yes|
|211 Meat Products||commercial|
|239 Other Fabricated Textile Products NEC||manufacturing|
|242 Sawmills & Planing Mills||manufacturing|
|249 Other Lumber & Wood Products (Ex. Furnitu) NEC||commercial|
|259 Other Furniture & Fixtures NEC||retail|
|279 Other Printing & Publishing NEC||commercial|
|309 Other Fabricated Rubber Products NEC||commercial|
|321 Flat Glass||commercial|
|328 Abrasive, Asbestos & Miscellaneous Nonmetallic||commercial|
|331 Steel Works, Rolling & Finishing Ferrous Metal||commercial|
|339 Other Primary Metal Industries NEC||commercial|
|344 Transportation Equipment||commercial|
|349 Other Fabricated Metal Products NEC||commercial|
|399 Other Miscellaneous Manufacturing NEC||manufacturing|
|461 Automobile Parking (Lot)||yes|
|471 Telephone Communication||commercial|
|481 Electric Utility||commercial|
|483 Water Utilities & Irrigation & Storage||yes|
|484 Sewage Disposal||yes|
|485 Solid Waste Disposal||yes|
|489 Other Utilities NEC||yes|
|506 Coml Condo - Services||yes|
|514 Groceries & Related Products||retail|
|515 Farm Products (Raw Materials)||yes|
|517 Hardware, Plumbing, Heating Equip & Supplies||retail|
|518 Machinery, Equipment & Supplies||commercial|
|519 Other Wholesale Trade, NEC||commercial|
|521 Lumber & Other Building Materials||retail|
|531 Department Stores||retail|
|539 Other Retail Trade NEC||retail|
|541 Groceries (With or Without Meat)||retail|
|549 Other Retail Trade - Food NEC||retail|
|551 Motor Vehicles||yes|
|552 Tires, Batteries & Accessories||retail|
|553 Gasoline Service Stations||retail|
|559 Other Retail Trade-Auto, Marine, Aircraft NEC||retail|
|571 Furniture, Home Furnishings & Equipment||retail|
|581 Eating Places (Restaurants)||retail|
|582 Drinking Places (Alcoholic Beverages)||retail|
|591 Drug & Proprietary||retail|
|593 Antiques & Secondhand Merchandise||retail|
|594 Book & Stationery||retail|
|596 Farm & Garden Supplies||retail|
|599 Other Retail Trade NEC||retail|
|611 Banking & Bank Related Functions||bank|
|614 Insurance Carriers, Agents, Brokers, Services||retail|
|615 Real Estate & Related Services||retail|
|623 Beauty & Barber Services||retail|
|624 Funeral & Crematory Services (Inc. Cemeteries)||retail|
|629 Other Personal Services NEC||retail|
|637 Warehousing & Storage Services||warehouse|
|639 Other Business Services NEC||commercial|
|641 Automobile Repair & Services||retail|
|649 Other Repair Services NEC||retail|
|651 Medical & Other Health Services||commercial|
|652 Legal Services||commercial|
|659 Other Professional Services NEC||commercial|
|661 General Contract Construction Services||commercial|
|662 Special Construction Trade Services||commercial|
|671 Executive, Legislative & Judicial Functions||yes|
|672 Protective Functions & Related Activities||commercial|
|673 Postal Services||yes|
|675 Military Bases & Reservations||yes|
|681 Nursery, Primary & Secondary School||school|
|682 University, College, Junior College, Etc.||school|
|691 Religious Activities (Churches Synagogues Etc.||yes|
|699 Other Miscellaneous Services NEC||yes|
|711 Cultural Activities (Inc. Libraries)||yes|
|721 Entertainment Assembly (Inc. Theaters)||retail|
|723 Public Assembly||yes|
|729 Other Public Assembly, NEC||yes|
|741 Sports Activities Inc. Golf Tennis Ice Etc.||yes|
|742 Playgrounds & Athletic Areas||yes|
|761 Parks - General Recreation||yes|
|762 Parks - Leisure & Ornamental||yes|
|769 Other Parks NEC||yes|
|790 Other Cultural, Entertainment, and Recreationa||yes|
|816 Farms & Ranches - Livestock (Not Dairy)||yes|
|817 Farms - Poultry||yes|
|818 Farms - General (No Predominant Activity)||yes|
|822 Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Services||retail|
|829 Other Agricultural Related Activities NEC||manufacturing|
|830 Open Space Agriculture RCW 84.34||yes|
|850 Mining Claims, Mineral Rights or Mining NEC||yes|
|910 Undeveloped (Vacant) Land||yes|
|915 Common Areas||yes|
|916 Water Retention Area||yes|
|939 Other Water Areas, NEC||yes|
|940 Open Space General RCW 84.34||yes|
Data Merge Workflow
Existing will be first inspected to determine which is the best data to keep then either the old object will be merged with the newer object or if the older outline is better than the new outline, the old outline will be kept and tags updated with any missing address and building information.
The work for this effort will be divided up into sections, with each section constituting a voting district. Voting district data have been loaded into US Tasking Manager.
Using the JSOM, each volunteer will begin to work through the data for that district.
- Local knowledge
- Bing aerial layer or ESRI imagery layer
- Existing OSM data
- Address and building data import
- Click on the task tab above and claim a task on the map to the right by clicking on an area you'd like to work in
- Click the "JOSM" button, this will open the area in JOSM and load up existing OSM data
- Click the ".osm" button, this will open new import data in a separate layer
- Select the new addresses layer and validate the layer, fix all issues (more in Tips & Tricks below)
- Copy all geometry from addresses layer and paste it into the existing OSM data layer.
- Run validation on the existing OSM data layer that now contains new data, resolve all issues emanating from collisions between existing and new data (see merge rules).
- Do a sanity check on data: Do addresses correspond to adjacent roads? (more on imagery below)
- Merge with existing address data. Use the JOSM "m" key to merge nodes. Check for addresses in POI and merge to new address data.
- To merge with a building outline, use the Replace Geometry (Ctrl+Sift+G) by selection the existing building outline and the new address node. Note: Only merge building outline with an address node if the building outline contains just one address node.
- Upload data to OSM
- Go back to the Tasking Manager and mark the task as done (but not as validated)
Importer Quality Checks
The accepting tasks from the Tasking Manager should fix the following issues when importing addresses to help insure a high quality import:
- Street addresses match nearby street name. If the addr:street does not match the street, verify usingSnohomish County GIS map. If there is no match the district should be skipped. Notify Clifford Snow of discrepancy. Additionally, add a note asking for a verification of street names.
- Look for duplicate addresses. Check POI for address tags. Often POI's are added with incomplete addresses. Merge the imported address with the POI.
- If a single address is inside of a building outline, merge the two. Leave multiple addresses inside building outlines as individual nodes.
- Attempt to clean up misaligned roads by using the Bing or ESRI background image."
Known Dataset Conflation Issues
Local knowledge Issue: this is a great opportunity to infuse a lot of richness into Marysville OSM data.
Approach: volunteers will be asked to add information they know along the way. For example: if you know the corner address for a building is a coffeeshop, add that information while you're buzzing about in the import.
Dedicated Import Account
Users will be expected to obtain an unique import account, for example, user FooBar might pick FooBar_Import.
- Pre-import training
- Use of validation tools in the Tasking Manager process
- Group activities and IRC for question answering during the import.