Microgrants/Microgrants 2020/Proposal/OpenStreetMap.by Maintenance and Enhancements
About your Mapping Community
Tell us a little bit about your mapping community at the moment, some examples of details to include are below, but please provide us with any information you think is relevant. Please write 100-200 words
There are 269 people in Telegram channel https://t.me/byosm and I believe much more contributors on outside. There are offline GIS events at least every few months with over 60+ OSM people attending. I do not want to compare OSM community to anything else, but I like that people are really involved with mapping and love what they do. I like how the communication is handled and how people are keeping it open and put community interests first, at the same time involving the companies to make quality contributions too.
What do you need the grant money for?
We want to understand what you plan to buy, how much you plan to buy, and why this will help you to scale your community mapping efforts. There are two tables for you to fill in your response, and you may add more rows as needed. Some examples are in the table for your reference. You are welcome to use a different format in your response, but please make sure to include these details.
The money is basically the three months cost of living in Minsk for an unemployed DevOps/Automation Engineer, calculated from Numbeo. They are necessary to buy time and focus. Mine or people who could do this faster. Once the decomposition is finished and the tasks are clear, it may be possible that we could complete all the stuff faster.
Give your budget breakdown here. If you would like to present your budget in a tabular format, you can use this tool to convert your spreadsheet into a wikitable and paste the code below here
This is a fixed time budget, split over the three months in a course of 6 sprints of 2 weeks each. Every two weeks costs EUR 531.23
- Apr-23 - May-7 - getting OpenStreetMap.by running locally - web part is up, services are not documented, server configs are not there or outdated, PRs are half reviewed, not merged yet, the proposal to add the process to microgrants, new PR with most fixes covered from @tbicr
- May-8 - May-21 - filling the proposal, moving OpenStreetMap.by to a new server (SSD is crashing), dockerizing, adding linting to CI/CD
- May-22 - Jun-04 - add https, draw diagrams for server services, writing SOP how to read the logs, what files go where, and where configs are located
- Jun-5 - Jun-18 - writing who has access to what, choosing continuous deployment strategy - single server `docker-compose`+bash or multi-node Ansible/Terraform vs Kubernetes
- Jun-19 - Jul-02 - exposing metrics and stats, adding contributor guidelines for frontenders and mappers in local language, add FAQ how to use OSM as a data source with links to LearnOverpass tutorial
- Jul-03 - Jul-16 - `tileserver` service maintenance, increase bus factor from 2 to 3 (+me) and reduce technical debts (code review), attempt to fix missing country names on a rendered map and write down the troubleshooting session with the whole process of generating tiles - from (dump -> postgis -> tiles -> rendering) and if the problem is in data, how to understand which data and how to fix that
- Jul-16 - Jul-23 - wrap up and write up, closing debts, ticketing leftovers
If you receive a grant, what do you aim to achieve?
It is recommended that this supports mission of the OSM Foundation and your local community. Please provide us with any information you think is relevant including the metrics you expect to achieve. Please write 100-200 words.
There are a lot of recurring questions about "how to find all shops", "how to use OSM on my web site", and the OpenStreetMap.by currently doesn't answer these questions for the users. I am sure main OpenStreetMap wiki has the information in sufficient details for somebody who has the time and interested to dig inside, but to get people interested in details, a simple local entrypoint is needed. For developers, mappers and end users. This is the goal of OpenStreetMap.by as I see it for the scope of my activity.
Metrics - move from 8 to at least 50+ stars on https://github.com/osm-by/OpenStreetMap.by repository by the end of the 2020. Address all issues and merged/decline all PRs by the end of July 2020. OpenStreetMap.by was registered 8 years ago in 2012 and served well as download service and playground for existing OSM contributors. When all the necessary plumbing done, it should become more attractive for new maintainers, and we will have more time total for maintaining community infrastructure.
Do you receive funding from any other sources at the moment?
If you receive funding from other organisations currently, please state how much this is, whether the donations are regular or one off, and how these funds have been raised. Please write no more than 300 words. If you have any sources of co-funding for this grant application, please provide details. Examples of this might be if you have any partners who would be willing to match grant funding if you receive it, or if your project has existing funding. Please provide as much detail as possible.
I don't have any other income at all.
Is there anything you would like OSMF to support you with?
If there is anything which you would like OSMF to support you with in order to strengthen your project, please let us know. For example, this could include building relationships with OSM communities, sourcing updated imagery for mapping projects, or guidance on how to use some of the tools we have created. We want to do our best to support OSM communities, so please let us know what you need. Please write no more than 150 words.
The local community is very welcome and the people posses all the required expertise. Although I wouldn't mind some help with design and layout of visual diagrams. Would be awesome to reuse the maps for them. )
By submitting this form to the OpenStreetMap Foundation, you certify the information contained in this application is correct, and that if you are awarded a grant, you will use it only for the purposes described above. You will provide written documentation and receipts for all of your expenses to the OSM Foundation to demonstrate this. You understand that the decisions made by the OSM Foundation Microgrants committee are final.
I, abitrolly/Anatoli Babenia, agree to follow the above declaration.
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!