Microgrants/Microgrants 2020/Proposal/Unique Mappers Capacity Building Support For COVID19 Response Mapathon & Community Empowerment Project
About your Mapping Community
Tell us a little bit about your mapping community at the moment, some examples of details to include are below, but please provide us with any information you think is relevant. Please write 100-200 words About Unique Mappers Nigeria Community
- Unique Mappers Nigeria is an emerging Community NGO for OpenStreetMap Community in Nigeria dedicated to Open Data Mapping for a measurable target of Sustainable Development Goals. We map to reach the need of everyone, leaving no one behind, where, everyone is counted using OpenStreetMap and Mobile data collection technology.
- We drive humanitarian response mapping through community engagement and dedicated team of volunteers in various States and Universities in Nigeria.
- We drive gender equality in mapping community using open data mapping and open source Geospatial skill empowerment.
- In the past 3 years, we have grown the OpenStreetMap community in Nigeria across various states and Universities.
- We have also carried out mapping projects using OpenStreetMap to respond to Disaster Risk Reduction, Gender Equality and Food Security with a focus in Nigeria.
- As a small team that started in 2017 as UniqueMappersTeam-Port Harcourt(University of Port Harcourt),affiliate of HOT/YouthMappers,we expanded to more 12 teams/chapters in other Universities and states in Nigeria and presently, we have more than 200 registered community members and more than 1000 OSM subscribers been coordinated in more than 16 WhatsApp group chats.
- We want to build capacity for effective national operation and community engagement, as to provide community for COVID19 response
What do you need the grant money for?
We want to understand what you plan to buy, how much you plan to buy, and why this will help you to scale your community mapping efforts. There are two tables for you to fill in your response, and you may add more rows as needed. Some examples are in the table for your reference. You are welcome to use a different format in your response, but please make sure to include these details.
We want to build capacity for effective national operation and community engagement, so, as to provide inclusive community mapping for COVID19 response in Nigeria. This will be done by strengthening community empowerment and mappers wanted training webinar series, stay home Mapathon webinar parties and drone data capture to support government agencies driving COVID19 food intervention and subsequent mapping on OSM.
Give your budget breakdown here. If you would like to present your budget in a tabular format, you can use this tool to convert your spreadsheet into a wikitable and paste the code below here
|Item||What do you plan to spend the money on?||Expected Cost per unit (in Euros)||Quantity you plan to buy/subscription Length||Expected Total cost (in Euros)||Why is it Needed? (Please give as much details as possible)|
|1||Drone-Mavic 2 Pro||1656.02||2||3,312.04||We hire drones to provide imagery for community mapping because we do not have recent imagery covering our mapping task. Having our own drone to serve our communities will scale up the capacity for effective open data mapping and community engagement. These 2 drones shall serve the local communities/team of Unique Mappers OpenStreetMap Nigeria Community for data capture and training. It will also scale up open data mapping to drive measurable targets of SDG’s locally. It will help to secure opportunities with the government agencies to participate in COVID19 Social distance monitoring and mapping, especially, in locations with high density building and population. It will also help provide real-time image capture of our on-going mobile data collection project for COVID19 food intervention in some states in Nigeria, where, household food intervention is in progress. We have more than 10 teams in various states/universities in Nigeria, that will benefit from these 2-drone purchase and certainly it will trigger community participation as volunteers will be more excited and enthusiastic to capture data image of their location/campus. upload to OpenAerialMap and then map on OSMfight will also help us to build capacity for training of drone pilots for humanitarian disaster response mapping and socio-economic development. If we do not have this grant now to purchase drone, it will stagnate to spending more on hiring of drones and also limit us from some of the stakeholders need for open data mapping with recent imagery. Our IDW2020 event last march also promised providing open data mapping for one of the campus in Nigeria using Drone to capture recent development but we do not have the capacity to provide humanitarian drone community mapping with out a drone except we hire hence we need own drone.|
|2||Extra Battery||193.950||2||387.90||Extra battery is critical for faster and longer flight operation. It saves flight operation time during image data capture. If we secure more funding, we look forward to having 8 batteries for each drone, so we can have flight operations without interruption for battery charging, however, we need to start with at least 2 extra batteries, which, this fund can afford.|
|3||Zoom Webinar Subscription||11.66||6 months subscription||69.95||We need UniqueMappers Zoom Webinar Subscription to facilitate our on-going COVID19 Community Empowerment and Mappers Wanted Training Webinar Series. It will help us sustain our training session beyond the free session for effective and quality training session, especially, during the next 6months of this project operation. It will also give opportunity for us to record our trainings as well as enable each team and working groups to host meeting and training. It will be used to host and coordinate Mapathon party as community members and volunteers connect to share about the mapping event. Without zoom webinar, it will be difficult to evaluate or coordinate effective Mapathon during this COVID19 lockdown. Zoom webinar will help us break the physical distance and feel united and happy mapping while at home .|
|4||COVID19 Mapathon Party||410.04||3 months Data subscription||1230.11.||We are ready to respond to COVID19 community mapping, especially, to provide open data for government agencies and other stakeholders to facilitate household food intervention mapping as well as mapping the spread of COVID19.We cannot achieve this if we do not provide data subscription for our members to map while the lockdown last. The cost of internet access is a great barrier to COVID19 response mapping. We need internet data subscription to scale up our metrics as we monthly provide internet data subscription for our members to map while staying safe at home. This will help us organize Webinar Mapathon Party. For our teams and chapters across Nigeria. This Mapathon party will impact positively on the stay-at- home and social distance rule in Nigeria, as most of our community members would be delighted to have internet data subscription to map dedicated mapping task to be created for COVID19 response in Nigeria. As the Project Task Manager for HOT, Nigeria ,we are yet to create mapping task for COVID19 affect locations/state because, community members cannot bear the cost of internet data subscription for voluntary open data mapping in OpenStreetMap especially at this period of economic turn down. Without data subscription our online training and webinar sessions will not be effective.|
If you receive a grant, what do you aim to achieve?
It is recommended that this supports mission of the OSM Foundation and your local community. Please provide us with any information you think is relevant including the metrics you expect to achieve. Please write 100-200 words.
- The intends to achieve the following
- Provide Drone for community OSM mapping projects to of Unique Mappers in various states in Nigeria
- Provide the capacity for Drone community training and engagement
- Provide the capacity for regular Community Empowerment & Mappers Wanted Webinar Training for all teams/chapters & local OSM communities
- Provide the capacity for Post-COVID19 Drone Mapping practical training for each chapter/team of Unique Mappers in Nigeria
- Liase with Government agency on COVID19 lockdown Food Intervention and Distribution to provide drone-based Open Data mapping COVID19 Food intervention and Social Distance mapping for specific locations in Nigeria
- Provide Community empowerment/Training to map specific areas in Nigeria with high Risk of COVID19 cases
- Provide Community empowerment/Internet data subscription to map specific areas of high risk of COVID19 cases & Social Distance failures using the National Center for Disease Control (NCDC) COVID19 updates
- Map 4 major cities/locations with high risk of COVID19 in Nigeria to increase unique mappers missing maps metrics to 400,000 edits (adding at least 200,000 edits on OSM) to respond to COVID19
- Provide the capacity to train at a target of 200 Unique Mappers in Nigeria
- Mobilize and train 200 OSM newbies from various states in Nigeria
Do you receive funding from any other sources at the moment?
If you receive funding from other organisations currently, please state how much this is, whether the donations are regular or one off, and how these funds have been raised. Please write no more than 300 words. If you have any sources of co-funding for this grant application, please provide details. Examples of this might be if you have any partners who would be willing to match grant funding if you receive it, or if your project has existing funding. Please provide as much detail as possible.
No, we do not have funding now from any source to facilitate capacity building and COVID19 Response Mapping
Is there anything you would like OSMF to support you with?
If there is anything which you would like OSMF to support you with in order to strengthen your project, please let us know. For example, this could include building relationships with OSM communities, sourcing updated imagery for mapping projects, or guidance on how to use some of the tools we have created. We want to do our best to support OSM communities, so please let us know what you need. Please write no more than 150 words.
We would appreciate technical support to enable us to share our data on our website to enable stakeholders. We are also open to other OSM communities will collaborate with us for any mapping project. We would also like to register our community as OSMF Chapter in Nigeria.
By submitting this form to the OpenStreetMap Foundation, you certify the information contained in this application is correct, and that if you are awarded a grant, you will use it only for the purposes described above. You will provide written documentation and receipts for all of your expenses to the OSM Foundation to demonstrate this. You understand that the decisions made by the OSM Foundation Microgrants committee are final.
I vicksun agree to follow the above declaration
National Coordinator-Unique Mappers Nigeria
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here! Endorsed by Community Leaders: Teeman
Umeuduji------I am in full support of this application. In fact the acute difficulty of getting data especially by the members of the community is what justifies the request for sponsorship. The request for drone acquisition is also valid because the use of drone will help in accessing real time data. The composition of the Team is also noteworthy since the members are quite experienced and dedicated to humanitarian open street mapping. Above all, the final output from this undertaking will be of great importance for research. I therefore keenly endorse this application and recommend it for sponsorship. Prof. J. E. Umeuduji.
• For effective national operation and community engagement and to provide community mapping for COVID19 response in Nigeria, webinar training and all it requires to support government agencies driving COVID19 ranging food intervention and subsequent mapping on OSM. UniqueMappersTeam needs drones to help us capture image for mapping and without internet subscription,we cannot map on OSM due to high cost of internet data subscription, I Chukwu Kingsley Chika (KingVik) Strongly support this Project. Wednesday 13th May 2020.
I Ezugwu Victor Chukwuma with OSM username Victor12345 strongly endorse this project (Capacity Building Support For COVID19 Response Mapathon & Community Empowerment Project in Nigeria) with the necessary items needed well presented in the proposal to enable Unique Mappers Nigeria organize mapathons and trainings in response to the global Covid19 pandemic.
I Uchechi Shirley Anaduaka (OSM id: UchechiShirley) strongly endorse the project: ). I believe that the project's benefits will go beyond this period. Enabling Unique Mappers Network, Nigeria is enabling women and youth. Empowering them will be a useful tool in growing the use of geo-spatial techniques and methods in Nigeria.
We need drones to help us capture image for mapping and without internet subscription,we cannot map on OSM due to hight cost of internet data subscrition.