OpenStreetMap India site proposal
- Community made maps, for Indians.
To be the hub of open source map data and related services for use within India.
The global homepage of the OpenStreetMap project is hosted at OSM.org and acts as the starting point for anyone interested in the project. Due to the generic nature of the .org homepage and the default maps that are visible, it is not apparent that the core of the project, is led by ordinary citizens voluntarily mapping out their neighbourhoods. The general impression of first time visitors is that OSM is merely an alternative map to Google, but nothing beyond that.
Having a local OSM.in domain will propogate the idea that the project and website is more local in nature and the maps takes into account the various infrastructural and cultural differences of the country. It also gives the Indian mapping and technology community a platform to showcase their skills and leadership abilities to drive open source projects locally.
- Promote OSM as a project with grassroots level scope in India.
- Conform to local laws pertaining to the display of India’s external boundaries.
- Rendering of map features unique to India.
- Multilingual labelling.
- Provide a platform to showcase local community and technology talent.
- Government recognition.
- User scenarios.
- Citizen mapper.
- Civic activist.
- IT Services.
- Government civic services.
Phase 1 - Indian map
- Custom map tiles made with an India specific carto stylesheet.
- Nominatim search.
- Data download section for processed .osm extracts.
Phase 2 - Showcase data richness
- Overlay layer to display non latin names.
- Multiple tile layers for different use cases.
Phase 3 - Increase participation
- Wikidata integration to translate place names.
- Community section for coordination of mapping activities and progress.
Phase 4 - Mashups to increase reach
- Wikipedia integration to make the map a learning tool.
- Integrate routing capabilities
Phase 5 - Improve performance
- Minutely diffs for near real time map updates.
- Mobile/low bandwidth version of the site and tiles.
Phase 6 - Future
- Vector based map rendering.
- Historical maps.
- 3D exports.