| Phang Nga, Thailand|
|latitude: 8.671, longitude: 98.350|
|Browse map of Phang Nga 8°40′15.60″ N, 98°21′00.00″ E|
|Use this template for your city|
Phang Nga is a city in Thailand at latitude 8°40′15.60″ North, longitude 98°21′00.00″ East.
|OpenStreetMap images (and underlying map data) are freely available under OpenStreetMap License.|
Hi everybody! This is a page for our cooperative effort to map the wonderful Thai province of Phang Nga, in the south west parts of Thailand. If you are new to this great project, please check out Beginners Guide first. Check out the mapping progress of Phang Nga here!
- Need GPS tracks for all roads (Almost everything is traced from the Yahoo aerials and not very detailed)
- All major and secondary roads.
- All rivers, lakes and parks in Phang Nga using Landsat.
- All major POIs in the province
- The Khao Lak area needs more detail. Lets get ALL POIs (Points of Interest like resorts, restaurants, shops, etc.) in the Khao Lak area. We are very interested to find location of these POIs:
- Eco-Tourism Community Attraction
- Tsunami Memories
- Tsunami Evacuation
- Maritime Attraction
- Shopping & Entertainment
- Emergency & Information
- We need at least the most important roads, landmarks etc of the island of Phuket.
- Flesh out the Wikipedia entries on Phang Nga and Khao Lak.
Progress and issues
- Most major roads and towns traced
- Most coast traced
- The Similan Island traced but dont render?! Why??
- I think the edges need to be coastline instead of island. I'll try to change --Bengibollen 16:18, 11 April 2008 (BST)
- The strait of Phuket wont render correct. Tried to retrace the coast today (april 10 2008)
Collecting GPS tracks
Many of the roads are traced from the yahoo satellite image and not very exact. If you have a GPS, take it out with you whenever you go out on the car, the bus, the train and log the routes. You can then upload the data directly to the system and either map it yourself or let someone else do that mapping work.
Drawing the roads
Once GPS points have been uploaded to the system you can see where you have travelled and then draw the road networks on top.
Local knowledge is key to the success of the map, especially within towns and villages, so if you know the names of streets that have already been mapped around you then please go in and add that information to the right stretch of road.
For more information on how you can help the project out, see the Getting Involved section.
Phang Nga in the English langueon Wikipedia
Khao Lak in the English langueon Wikipedia
www.khaolaklovers.com A great site with lots of Khao Lak related information.
www.mykhaolak.de This is also a great site with loads of information. German language.
- user:AxelM - Very interested in the province of Phang Nga and the Khao Lak area in particular. Made a Khao Lak map (check out www.khaolakmap.com) and a historic map showing the pre tsunami Khao Lak (www.khaolak2004.com) and is aiming to remake these mapse using OSM.
- user:Bengibollen - Very interrested in the area as well.