|Author||OFFIS - Institute for Information Technology|
Android navigation application, aiming at pedestrians. Information on the next waypoint can be encoded in tactile feedback.
The PocketNavigator enables you to navigate in a foreign city without forcing you to repetetive look on your device as a usual navigation system would do. This is possible because the Pocket Navigator uses tactile feedback to guide you through your way. Thus, your device can safely stay right inside your pocket. The PocketNavigator is one of the HaptiMap (FP7-ICT-224675) demonstrators. HaptiMap is a research project, funded by the European Commission, which aims to make map data and location-based services more accessible to visually impaired or elderly people. Because the PocketNavigator is a research demonstrator, it might be the case that it partly contains bugs or glitches. We recommend to not exlusively rely on this software.
The following lines illustrate what features have been added or removed in the latest releases of the application.
- Enabled "Move to SD card" feature
- Fixed map caching dialog
- Fixed map caching issues
- Tutorial now demonstrates vibration patterns
- When long clicking on the map, the address of the clicked location is retrieved
- Distance can be coded in pause between vibration patterns (experimental)
- New set of vibration patterns (experimental)
- Maps can be cached for offline use
- Zooming by two-finger pinch gesture
- Updated to Android 2.1, now also tablet ready (3.0)
- Simplified search entry dialog
- Improved accessibility
- Better identification of addresses
- German translation available
- Experimental features
The PocketNavigator is part of a research project. Thus, rarely feature wishes can be considered by the developers. However, feel free to add them in the 'Feature Wishes' section below, and we will look what we can do. Bugs and occuring problems can be reported to the developers via email. In particular we are happy about feedback on accessibility.
- Please fill the form here:  -> Can't be edited because of missing permissions.
- Wish #2