Proposed features/Border

From OpenStreetMap Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Status: Obsoleted (inactive)
Proposed by: Ben.
Tagging: border=[[Tag:border=hedge/wood_fence_/wire_fence/metal_fence/
Rendered as: undecided

There seems to be stiles, gates and other features all appering in many forms. I have been adding stiles, fences, hedges, and every type of boundry boarder I can think of all under 1 title. 'Border'.

Having stiles and gates under highway is wrong as they are not highways, they are features that cross the highway. Cars/bikes etc cannot drive along the gate, or along the stile.

stile_1 and stile_2 are the 2 tags ive used for stiles that have x amount of steps on them. Larger stiles have larger numbers.

I currently render borders as a very thin black line, which ensures it is invisible if you zoom out but clear if you zoom in. This avoids cluttering the map. Gates/styles etc work

I like the border=fence, border=hedge part. When you say style, you're talking about stiles, right? --KristianThy 15:28, 13 January 2007 (UTC)
Yes... I mean stiles sorry. I am talking about absolutly any feature that falls along the way, so stiles is one of them. There are a few tags around that are all x=yes. The aim of this proposal is to catagories all these features and keep things tidy. Ben. 03:44 18th January 2007 (UTC)


  • Surely a stile or gate is the intersection of a 'way' and and boundary, for example the boundary of a park, which might be made up of a fence, a hedge or a low dry-stone wall and which is pierced by entrances which are 'junctions' with ways. Sometimes there is a device to stop bicycles getting in which should be a property of the node where they meet. btw, is the term 'Border' not more suitable for use on national boundaries and Customs Posts etc? Can we use Boundary for field/park boundaries. Peter Miller 6:35am 12 June 2007
  • gates frequently just appear where there isn't really a definate threw way. Such as shering pens, or old gates between fields, where many fields have been merged to 1 and the gate has become unused. So then it would just be mapped into the border rather than along the way. Border does have the meaning of national boundaries, but they already have a key. Border also means 'the outer edge of something', its also a line that splits geographical regions rather than just political areas. Although hedges/walls still do split properties. Wording isn't majourly inportant though I think. Hopefully at somepoint in the future JOSM's interface would translate tags to whatever the user wants to read/add/edit them as. Whats inportant here is how the tags are are grounped. I proposed this quite some time ago now anyway, and Its been tried and tested and does me well. Ben 23:52, 12 June 2007 (BST)
How do I revive this proposal? This is what I was looking for, and as can be seen here (scroll down to border), it is used heavily. Mtcv 17:39, 4 February 2008 (UTC)
Make it so that it proposes something, for starters. Then put out an RFC to the mailing lists, asking for comments on it. --Hawke 21:50, 25 March 2008 (UTC)
  • -1 for calling it "border" (which to my first reading just means a national border, with checkpoints and men with guns). I really do not like that name. +1 for plain old "boundary" instead. --achadwick 23:40, 24 August 2008 (UTC)
  • I don't like the name either because of what Achadwick says. but i would use barrier instead which I think is the same proposal as this one with a better name --Sergionaranja 09:03, 17 September 2008 (UTC)