|Status:||Proposed (under way)|
|Definition:||a piece of land projecting into water from a larger land mass and being nearly surrounded by water|
natural=peninsula is used to tag a named peninsula (from Latin paeninsula, from paene 'almost' + insula 'island'): a piece of land projecting into water from a larger land mass and being nearly surrounded by water.
natural=peninsula is not intended for tagging coastal areas or coastal strips. Therefore it should not be used if the length of the non-water part of the boundary is larger than three halves of the square root of its area. (This is about equivalent to an equilateral triangle shaped peninsula connected at one of its sides.)
While it is possible to verify the existence of a peninsula, the peninsula usually can't be clearly delimited at the side where it is connected to the larger land mass. When mapping a peninsula as a multipolygon it is therefore recommended to draw the connection as a straight line and tag it indefinite=yes.
Please do not map very large peninsulas like subcontinents as multipolygons as they strain the servers much and are hard to maintain. (Relation#Size recommends a maximum number of 300 members in a relation.)
There is currently no approved tag for peninsulas.
natural=peninsula has already been proposed in 2008 (see Proposed features/peninsula), but has been rejected with the suggestion to use a place=* key instead. Therefore this new proposal initially suggested
place=peninsula. However the RFC discussion showed that
natural=peninsula is preferred because a natural=* key fits better.
- Engehalbinsel, Switzerland (a special kind of peninsula formed by a meandering river)
- Nes, Norway
- Presqu'île de Quiberon, France
- Shimabara Peninsula, Japan (see image above)
- Llŷn Peninsula, Wales
- Cape Cod, United States
- Nova Scotia peninsula, Canada
- Wiki: Proposed features/peninsula – rejected proposal for
- Tagging mailing list: [Tagging] Feature Proposal – RFC – place=peninsula. December 2018
- Tagging mailing list: [Tagging] Feature Proposal – RFC – natural=peninsula (Was: Feature Proposal – RFC – place=peninsula). January 2019