|Proposal status:||Proposed (under way)|
|Definition:||For better catholic denomination description|
For catholic elements, instead of using complicated denominations like denomination=roman_catholic or denomination=greek_catholic, use the generic and already wide used denomination=catholic with catholic=roman or catholic=greek (or any other relevant rite in full communion with catholic church).
There are three main reasons for this proposal :
- Getting a list of catholic items (for example by using Overpass API) is currently very hard if one wants to be sure to select everything: according to Denomination wiki page, there are 15 possible specific values of the denomination=* key for a catholic item.
- denomination=* specific values are greatly underused: for example in France, where everything catholic should be tagged as denomination=roman_catholic with only a few dozens of non-roman catholic establishments exceptions, denomination=catholic remains by far the most used value.
- On the ecclesiastic point of view, speaking about different denominations between different rites is wrong.
- buildings or nodes representing churches or religious offices
- religious boundaries like parishes, pastoral units, dioceses, provinces and national conferences
The following wiki pages should be modified if accepted:
This was previously discussed on talk-fr mailing list (in french)
Going further/out of topic
This proposal is limited to the catholic denomination. However, some other denominations like protestants and orthodox could use the same idea for their own rites/sub-denominations. I do know very little of those denominations position on that though, so this proposition should keep its limitation to catholics.