OpenStreetMap's own servers are run entirely on donated resources. To improve this capacity, OpenStreetMap needs more resources.
If you are a company or individual and want to help OpenStreetMap to run local tile server for your region, we will appreciate your help.
Tile rendering cluster node
Tile delivery nodes are backed by rendering nodes. Basic requirements for a render node:
- Dedicated Server (or an exceptionally fast VM)
- 128+ GB RAM (at least; better 192 GB);
- 12 or more CPU cores (24+ threads, CPU year 2013 or newer eg: 2x Xeon E5-2620 v2). 64+ threads and newer CPU strongly preferred;
- Storage: 1.92 TB SSD/NVMe for database, 1.92 TB SSD for storing tiles; All NVMe preferred.
- Fast network connection with high usage or unlimited traffic (at least 20 TB/month and 100 Mbps peak);
- Full root/sudo access (Remote Management beneficial eg: HP Integrated Lights-Out); and
- Ubuntu 20.04 LTS 64-bit (AMD64).
Dedicated hardware is preferred, but VMs are acceptable if their performance is sufficient. Containers (e.g. OpenVz, LXC) do not meet the requirements.
If you are able and willing to provide such setup, please send an email to email@example.com.
You can see our current render cluster monitoring.
- growth rate is approximately 3% month on month (50% year on year);
- inbound is approximately 25% of outbound;
- during Jan 2022 the tile.openstreetmap.org CDN served approximately 700TB per month (outbound) and 70 billion requests per month