OpenStreetMap's own servers are run entirely on donated resources. To improve this capacity, OpenStreetMap needs more resources.
If you are a company or individual and want to help OpenStreetMap to run tile server in your region, we will appreciate your help.
Tile rendering node
Tile rendering servers are operated by the OSMF. Basic requirements for a render node:
- Dedicated Server (or an exceptionally fast VM)
- 192+ GB RAM (at least; better 256 GB);
- 16 or more CPU cores (32+ threads, CPU year 2016 or newer eg: 2x Xeon E5-2620 v4). 64+ threads and newer CPU strongly preferred;
- Storage: 1.92 TB SSD/NVMe for database, 1.92 TB SSD for storing tiles; All NVMe preferred.
- Fast network connection with high usage or unlimited traffic (at least 25 TB/month and 100 Mbps peak);
- Full root/sudo access (Remote Management beneficial eg: HP Integrated Lights-Out); and
- Ubuntu 22.04 LTS
Dedicated hardware is preferred, but VMs are acceptable if their performance is sufficient. Containers (e.g. OpenVz, LXC) do not meet the requirements.
If you are able and willing to provide such setup, please send an email to email@example.com. Please provide details of the specifications and network connections. Traffic will be between the server and Fastly (AS54113).
You can see our current render cluster monitoring.
Tile Cache node
The tile CDN ran on donated cache nodes until 2020. Since then, we have been sponsored by Fastly, a commercial CDN.
- during March 2023 the tile.openstreetmap.org CDN served approximately 880TB per month (outbound) and 70 billion requests per month