Settle Mapping Party
Mapping parties are events where anyone can come and participate in the OpenStreetMap project. OpenStreetMap is a free, open source map that can be contributed, edited and used by anyone anywhere. Mapping parties are social events where experienced and new mappers can meet to share and learn more about the project. The events are generally held in a public place, and allow time for discussion, mapping and editing. The event is open to all.
The Field Trip is meant to bring people together, map an area, and give folks a taste of how maps are made. This Field Trip / Workshop also has a value of 4 (?) CPD points.
The area is very nice, should be easy to get to and parts of the town need mapping.
Last year we went to Pately Bridge. You can find out more about the Pateley Bridge Mapping Party.
Maps so far
Map of OSM coverage in the area. There is a fair bit already mapped, but using Walking Papers, and tracing over OS StreetView, we should be able to map it all!
Look at the Talk:Settle_Mapping_Party page to see a table of which roads are not (and which are) in OSM, but are in OS Locator
- When: Saturday 15 May 2010
- Venue: Settle, North Yorkshire
- Venue Contact:
- Contact Tim / Chippy Email: firstname.lastname@example.org cell number: 07941 902640
- Contact Graham Email: email@example.com cell number 07717 539412
- Event schedule
- Meet at venue: Ye Olde Naked Man Cafe in the centre of Settle at 10:00 AM (If you arrive in Settle after 10:30 then just give a call, we won't be far away)
- Introduction to OpenStreetMap mapping process & technique
- Go out and map
- Lunch at 13:00 at Thirteen Cafe Bar, centre of Settle (Call us if you have trouble finding us)
- Upload GPS survey points and edit OpenStreetMap online.
- Out again, or stay and edit
- Back for Tea at 15:30 at Thirteen Cafe Bar
- Upload GPS survey points and complete edits of OpenStreetMap online.
- Wrap up by 17:00
- Debrief in local pub
If you own a GPS or laptop computer, and/or internet dongle thingy please bring it along. If not, we will have GPS units to use.
RSVP: please let us know that you will join us by registering on the ?AGI EVENTS PAGE, or adding your name below. Join us for the full day or a half day.
See http://geothings.net/osm/settle/ for a collection of useful files, JOSM, .osm snapshot, navgps utilites etc, walking papers, townguide, OS Locator GPX & KML and more, relating to the mapping party.
Details about car share, public transport etc
Do sign up on the AGI Northern Group SIG events page ? - it's a free event, and add your name here too:
- Tim Waters / Chippy
- Graham Morgan, driving from Cumbria, can car share.
- Andreas Ottitsch, National School of Forestry, UoC
- Jon Stockill
- Peter James
- Michael Collinson
- Venue Scouting / Choosing