Spartanburg County Address And Building Import
Spartanburg county Address and Microsoft Building footprint import
This page is intended to document plans for an upcoming import of address points provided by the Spartanburg county GIS department and building footprints from Microsoft.
The plan is to follow the import checklist:
- Identify data to import
- Translate, tag, and otherwise tenderize the data
- Do the work: Import/merge the data
- QA the data
- Match and attach address points to new buildings
- Match and attach address points to existing buildings in OSM that have no or incomplete address data
- Upload remaining address points
- Validate against existing data before upload (house on waterway or highway)
This work will take place within two months after a 2 week review period.
Buildings Using Microsoft Building Footprints https://github.com/Microsoft/USBuildingFootprints for the Spartanburg County, SC area, as no compatible data source for building footprints is available in the region.
The data is released under an OSM-compatible ODbL license.
Address points Address data has been received from the county GIS office
Type of license: Public domain, and also an email has been obtained from the GIS office granting permission for OpenStreetMap to use the data.
August 24, 2018 3:38 PM
Spartanburg County data is not copyrighted. Because it is created with taxpayer money, when we distribute the data it is offered without restrictions.
Bill Porter, Sr. GIS Analyst 864 596 3257 GIS Addressing / Spartanburg County 366 N Church St
Spartanburg, SC 29303
This is a one-time import, done with JOSM. Original .OSM file of new address data will be retained with the intent of adding a new process in the future of applying diffs to keep up to date.
Data Merge Workflow
Conversion scripts / program are at https://github.com/OpenStreetMapSC/SpartanburgAddressesAndBuildings and https://github.com/OpenStreetMapSC/MergeAddressesAndBuildings . All usable tags in the source data have been mapped to OSM attributes. Data consisting of new and edited has been prepared for a JOSM upload. For an example of the complete data, see https://greenvilleopenmap.info/SpartanburgData/MergedOSMData.zip . Note that this is before validation - there will be overlapping buildings and duplicate address nodes.
All detected overlaps with existing data have been removed by the MergeAddressesAndBuildings program cited above.
The dedicated accounts to be used for the import are named Spartanburg_SC_County_Import1 and Spartanburg_SC_County_Import2. 2 local mappers have expressed an interest in helping with the import. The other active mapper in the area will be notified and encouraged to participate if interested.
The project will be coordinated via the OSM US Tasking manager using the project https://tasks.openstreetmap.us/project/116 , which contains instructions. For each square, perform the following -
- JOSM only
- Click the link for extra data to bring in data for the square
- Download existing OSM data for the displayed area
- Validate shape of each new buildings - building recognition is often distorted by shadows. For buildings that need to be rotated, use CTRL+SHIFT+Mouse to rotate the building polygon.
- Press upload and review validation warnings - fix crossing buildings and waterways, fix crossing buildings and highways
- Addresses on parcels without an associated building might be from subdivisions within the last 2 years which won't show on aerial imagery, and those address should be retained.
- Decide whether to retain duplicate addresses. In many cases, the unit number is not included with the data for multiple tenants. Probably also OK if they are on separate buildings in the same parcel.