State Of The Map 2012/Accommodation
There are plenty of hotels in Tokyo. Prices range from hostels (under $40/night) to $100/night for medium class hotels. Asakusa and Ueno area have generally good prices, Shibuya, Shinjuku and Roppongi area are closer to the venue (http://wikitravel.org/en/Tokyo#Central_Tokyo). Convenient subway/train lines to the venue are the GINZA-line, Chiyoda-Line and Keio-Inogashira-Line (http://wikitravel.org/en/Image:Tokyo_Subway.png).
About hotels in Japan
- Prices are usually per person, not per room
- Room sizes are typically smaller than in North America or Europe
- Some accommodations offer Japanese rooms (Tatami flooring)
- Ryokan (Japanese inn) are often expensive because they include dinner course and breakfast
- For a very short stay (one night maybe) a "Japanese High-Tech Capsule Hotel" is cheap (USD $30〜45) and an interesting experience.
- Not everything with a "Hotel" sign must be a hotel as you expect: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_hotel
- Tipping isn't common in Japan ... no need to try it.
Travel information and booking sites
- More travel tips at Wikitravel or Japan National Tourism Organization (JNTO) website
- Rakuten Travel is a popular Japanese shopping/booking site that also has an English interface. (Look for the "Languages" link on the top of the page. There is no direct URL to English.)
See a list of hotels around Shibuya and Shinjuku Station: http://travel.rakuten.com/hotel/traffic/asia/japan/tokyo/shibuya_station_map.html
Staying in the same hotel together with other conference participants makes it easier to meet. We contacted hotels in Shibuya area, ask for availability and were able to make preliminary reservations from Sept. 5th to 9th. We also tried to negotiate discounts.
|Sakura Hotel Hatagaya||1.9km from the venue|| Single: 30 rooms 6,300 JPY/night,person
Twin: 5 rooms 5,200 JPY/night,person
Triple: 2 rooms 4,500 JPY/night,person
|10% discount for SotM|
|Olympic Inn (Japanese)||1.7km from the venue||Single/Double: 26 rooms 8,500 JPY or 4,700 JPY/night,person|
List of other interesting accommodations (without SotM discounts or agreements):
- <add more if you stay there>
more possibilities (with details): http://wikitravel.org/en/Tokyo/Shibuya#Sleep