Talk:Barcelona Parcel Import
Automated import = problems?
Apparently a massive automated import has been done in BCN (they are the tags including "Ajuntament de Barcelona - CartoBCN (@2013-11-10)" as the source). Now the blocks look great, as their individual buildings have been delimited. And now all streets are number-complete. 99% has been pure improvement!
But! 1% of the import did more evil than good (and 1% of the whole Barcelona is a lot):
- Apparently the import has blindly drawn areas, without bothering about our existing areas; thus resulting in duplicated overlapping buildings.
See for example Casa de les Punxes.(Example corrected, still some instances of this error remain)
- Apparently the import had no correct "translation" between their tags and ours. This resulted in squares or pedestrian isles mapped as buildings.
Compare for example this with the aerial image.(Example corrected, still some instances of this error remain)
- Apparently the import had "addr:housenumber" marked as mandatory, as many non-building areas (like the ones explained in point 2) that originally had no house number, include a bogus one (such as 9996, 9997, 9998...). The map is full of such examples, no need to scroll a lot before finding one.
- Apparently the import was done last November, but the database was some years old, and now many buildings appear in places where no building has existed since before 2010 (maybe earlier).
Compare for example this and the aerial image. For that concrete example, I remember having edited nearby places back when I lived exactly there, and the parking was correctly placed. Now it has been overlapped with buildings that where demolished between 2004 and 2010, not sure about the exact date).(Example corrected, still some instances of this error might remain)
The problems are not apocalyptical, but they are quite picky, ugly and, as far as I have seen, very very abundant. I just wanted to rise awareness on them as it's too much work for a few editors, more hands are needed. --Guillembb (talk) 18:36, 13 December 2013 (UTC)
- Looks like this import did not follow the guidelines described on the Import page. I don't know how we can make people more aware of these guidelines, though. --Lyx (talk) 14:21, 14 December 2013 (UTC)
I have deleted a bunch of buildings in Barcelona Eixample. My criterion was: "if the building is duplicated, delete the one with less information (normally the oldest, without anything beyond the "building key") unless the one with more information (normally the imported from CartoBCN) looks outright incorrect when compared to the aerial image (like the parking mentioned above, or the surroundings of the DHUB)". I will keep track of this kind of edits, just in case:
BTW, I just found out the project page for the import: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Barcelona_Parcel_Import - Moving everything there, as it's more suitable. --Guillembb (talk) 11:20, 20 December 2013 (UTC)
Recovering this data
Is there any way to partially and progressively recover the reverted information of this import? Most of it was fantastic! If the mistakes are removed and the clashes with the older bulding definitions are cleaned just after each import I think that it can provide an excellent source of information. --SMP (talk) 08:39, 9 April 2014 (UTC)