Talk:State of the Map 2021/AOSMFBAAAoAAAA
Please add any questions here, You can add your name (by entering
~~~~ under a question) to “vote” for an question someone else asked that you would like to see. The OSMF Board will try to answer the most popular questions.
Vector maps and tiles
- Is there a roadmap to support vector maps? A working group to join?
- Could there be an OSM server providing vector tiles?
- What about a vector map on the OSM homepage? (like Organic Maps)
- What about integrating (iD) edit functions in that vector map.
“unique local feature”
The OSMF Board has recieved this question, and the asker wants to remain anonymous:
- The problem is, unique local feature.
- We can say that OSM tagging scheme and carto renderer settings are sometimes not quite local-friendly, especially for non-anglophone countries outside Europe and US.
- We even have to use similar-yet-quite-different "western" concept to tag our local feature. We even forced ourself to "map for renderer", since we dont really have the representation needed to send our aspiration regarding renderer settings.
- My proposal is, let local community, by their own consensus, define their own OSM tagging scheme and carto renderer settings. By doing this, we hope to increase the inclusivity of this project to the underrepresented group in OSM. This is quite a big and open problem. We had a quite heated discussion about this problem on OSM's Telegram (regarding should everything be "english first", or "local first").
- We still have to discuss a lot of the details later.
Client side rendering could solve this problems. "Local first" could be default, but depending of the users location. Also render settings should be done by the users location or even the users preferences. -karlos- (talk) 18:37, 26 June 2021 (UTC)