Talk:Static map images
Discuss Static map images
RESTful URL feature idea
I came across this this question about static maps from the big G, which made me think maybe RESTful URLs could be a desirable feature i.e. URLs without '?' params. -- Harry Wood 18:38, 6 January 2011 (UTC)
Scripts and plug-ins for static image generating "locally"
A different approach to the problem: rather than having a "service" providing static map image, we could offer up some scripts and plug-ins e.g. for wordpress, which do the static image generating "locally". After all this is fairly simple lightweight tile stitching logic. This could include the option of in-place refreshing, so that map updates appear over time, but on a cache timeout, or alternatively just do one-off image generation without updates (less fun, but perhaps closer to the expected behaviour).
The main aim of this would be to eliminate the dependency on a static image service (although not the tile servers). I think these services are likely to hit scaling problems, and users might justifiably perceive them to be too fragile to point at directly in <img src> urls (particularly when they all run in the "dev" server)
-- Harry Wood 11:13, 1 March 2011 (UTC)
- staticmaplite is [such a script], and setting it up only requires PHP, php_curl module, and some disk space. It's not very obvious that this is possible, though. I have added installation instructions into my fork of it: https://github.com/Piskvor/staticMapLiteExt/blob/master/README.md
- -- Piskvor 15:31, 28 January 2013 (UTC)
Source for the Wizzard
I cannot find source for simpleMapWizzard. The script is up and running at http://staticmap.openstreetmap.de/wizzard/. Perhaps I could manually download it and the files it uses from there, but I was expecting to find some kind of bundle. That would make sense if it were an open source project. So I have two questions. First, is simpleMapWizzard open source, and second, is there a convenient location from which to download the source? --Dpp (talk) 15:37, 22 July 2013 (UTC)
- I think it's here http://sourceforge.net/projects/staticmaplite/ (linked from the bottom of the site) . That seems to include wizzard code
- Doesn't seem to be very actively developed though hey? In fact I deployed it myself with the intention of contributing. All works out of the box: http://harrywood.dev.openstreetmap.org/staticmapslite/ ...but I think I emailed the author and didn't hear back. ...or maybe I imagined that.
- In any case there's some obvious fixes, like removing all reference to tiles@home/osmarender which is no longer available.
- -- Harry Wood (talk) 17:14, 22 July 2013 (UTC)