Transport for NSW (TfNSW) lead the development of safe, integrated and efficient transport systems for the people of NSW. Our customers are at the centre of everything that we do, including the day-to-day delivery of services, planning, strategy, policy and procurement across all modes of transport – roads, rail, ferries, light rail and point to point.
We work hand-in-hand with our operators and industry partners to deliver customer-focused services and projects – we’re making NSW a better place to live, work and visit.
TfNSW Use of OpenStreetMap (OSM) Data
TfNSW uses OSM data in various products for the benefits of internal and external customers. Products like:
- TfNSW Trip Planner https://transportnsw.info/trip#/ - OSM data is used in the Trip Planner routing engine which includes road network and point of interest data.
- Background map tiles generated with Mapbox studio are used by various products within transportnsw.info and the TfNSW corporate website, transport.nsw.gov.au.
- Local Area Map for train stations, light rail stations and wharves are also produced using OSM source data.
By using OSM data TfNSW is able to update map data sets with increased frequency, resulting in more accurate, relevant and reliable map data for public transport customers and all users of OSM data. Using OSM also provides TfNSW with the ability to make real time data edits to improve the accuracy and quality of routing data to support trip planning.
TfNSW Data Services Team and Contact Information
The TfNSW Data Services team is a small but dedicated group which underpin the many digital products and projects that form part of TfNSW as a whole. The team are responsible for sourcing, managing and providing data with an emphasis on quality and efficiency.
The TfNSW Data Services team aim to contribute and help improve OpenStreetMap through review and updates that are identified as part of their wide reaching day-to-day activities, feedback from their extensive network of customer/public facing channels, and other TfNSW internal stakeholders.
Should you wish to contact the team please reach out to our OSM lead: Sigurjon Runarsson Sigurjon.Runarsson@transport.nsw.gov.au , or use our group mailbox and another member of the team will endeavour to help you: email@example.com
Active Data Team members
Former Data Team members
1. If in question, locally surveyed information takes precedence over that which is gathered remotely.
2. Mapping activities are captured under our Mapping Activities Register.
3. Quality is fundamental and is a core practice of the TfNSW Data Services team
4. The team follow the standards as documented on the OpenStreetMap Wiki